Demolition cost inconsistent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone. Sorry if this comes across as quote checking, but I have had some inconsistency from the demolition supplier that makes me worry I am far off market rate. Last year I got a budgetary estimate for demolition of the following:
- demo and removal of 4bed bungalow (85sq.m.) asbestos report done, small amount present
- removal of concrete hard standing 15m x 10m
- removal of 40ft lorry body (don't ask)
- removal of concrete shed
they gave me an estimate of £5,200.

I then had a site visit a number of months later and the cost has jumped to £10,000. The concrete is larger than the initial estimate (got them to put it as 30mx10m), but I have checked and that only runs to about £2,000.

What's going on? Is £10k reasonable for this amount of work or are they trying it on now that I have been keen to move forward. The site hasn't moved and they knew where it is (South Cambridgeshire) so any transport costs won't have risen much. How would a site visit make them double there estimate. Access is really good and I gave them loads of info for the budgetary estimate (including the asbestos report, floorplan and photos).

Sponsored Links
You need to get other quotes/estimates to compare.

The previous estimate is just that and has no legal basis.

Thanks ^woody^. I know legally they are fine. I had another visit and quote for £8-9k, so either that's the market rate or I came across as a mug to them as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back