dense concrete blocks?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi to all i need some help can i come straight from my footings with solid 225 mm concrete blocks im building my owm extention as our builder took our £7500 deposit and has never been seen again

Sponsored Links
225mm blocks?

'tis unlikely these will be suitable, now that cavity wall size (100mm)means an overall wall thickness of 300mm.

the building inspector said they will be ok with thermal plasterboard im just getting confused

i'm not aware of the particular type of construction that your architect has specced. i apologise

i agree that you can beef up the insulation from inside or from outside by using thick dense insulation boards, but why bother. it makes any fixing to the walls, later on, rather difficult.

if you insulate from within a cavity then you free up the outer surface of the walls for any fixing that may need doing later on. if it were a kitchen extension then you may find fitting a kitchen to these walls a pain in the ass.

Sponsored Links
I agree with Noseall re fixings as I have to use rather long fischer fixings when I come across an 80mm thermal board and then it is only going into a soft thermal block.

Most bc,s expect engineering bricks or trench blocks to dpc well that is my exp in Greenwich.
Pete

I think hes talking about regular 4" blocks...which would be circa 225mm HIGH.

Hi
You have poured your concrete and you want to build your walls?
A concrete block laid flat is 225mm
laid on edge, as it were, is 100mm wide when looked down upon.
does this help?
ciao

225mm Solid thermalites are fine. Must be rendered externally and dot and dabbed internally. Building inspector will be fine

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back