Deregulating the gas industry

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Registered Gas guys and gals.

Our industry (aircon and fridge) is about to go the registered route and there is a lot of resistance from engineers who are moaning about this (in a similar way to a lot of plumbers did way back when)

Ignoring how good/bad the regulations are enforced would those who are registered gas installers and fitters etc like the industry to go back to the old days of being un registered free for all.

if so why
If not, why not

Cheers

Richard

Sponsored Links
Fridges may leak gas but rarely explode.

Nor do they damage the house or cause an explosion when they leak.

I think that assessment is the correct way to deal with the problem and then I suppose you have to have some way to list those who have the assessments.

I think the assessment should be stricter but the regulation has been overkill under CORGI but then there has been no involvement at all by the HSE in checking the safety of gas installations.

Open a factory and the HSE will be bothering you all day long. Fit a gas boiler and they have no interest unless anyone has died! Their incident form has a question and a box for your reply! How many people have died?

Tony

Free for all, because all regulation does is increase the expenses of those who do a proper job. The regiostration bodies do not police the unregistered they pester the registered about nit picky issues with no bearing on public safety and use the organisation as a means of financing jobs for the boys and sales.

Meanwhile the unregistered who travel light because they have hardly any overheads steal the work in times of financial crises.

Make it a free for all but form a body who will police ALL building work and persue ALL people who do work sub standard. inance this body from the public purse, or say by regulating the permssion to do work in the hom. That way the householder will pay the administration overheads not the registered. Independent inspectors pai for by the consumer could thgen approve the work. Any work not approved and the customer will have top put it right to obtain sign off i.e. for selling the house or obtaining grants.

In short put all the costs on to the consumer and allow the tradesman to do his work in a level paying field. This is the only way to drive out the cowboys.

Regualte the job not the tradesman.

At present the tradesman has huge overheads and the customer gives the job to the un regulated.

A nice simple and very sensible idea from Paul there!

Pity that its not ever going to happen.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Thanks tony.

the reason it won't happen is because the government and the organisations which administer and enforce and the other organisations which spring up around a whole industry of legislation and control are so busy feathering their nests and passing the brown envelopes around that nobody has oversight of what the goals should be how it might actually work.

It takes a tradesman almost weighed down to extinction by the last 5 years legistlation to see the truth of it all.

There is noone else with our perspective who have suffered from the corruption.

My advise to anyone is find one of the ever fewer shrinking trades which remain unharmed by intervention. If you are in a trade which is becoming regluated look for a new job before it's too late. Or get a job in the registering organisations or government.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back