Descaling hot water cylinder?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I've been visiting this forum for a good few years and have often found the answer to my questions but I'm now looking for some help.

I'm a fairly competent DIYer but I'm after some plumbing advice. Our house is about 18 years old and has the original pressurised hot water system. I've fixed the gas boiler (Ideal Elan 2) a few times over the last few years but recently it has started short cycling when there is demand for hot water. This had been disguised by the central heating demand but now it's got warmer its' more obvious. As we live in a hard water area I'm wondering if the heat exchanger in the hot water tank is scaled up and the heat isn't getting dumped efficiently?

So, from reading other posts on this forum I'm wondering if I should try to clean the hot water tank (and specifically the heat exchanger in it) with Fernox DS3?

Suggestions gratefully received.

Cheers,

Andy.

Sponsored Links
I would be more inclined to think the central heating system is blocked up and needs flushing out than the hot water tank is scaled up.

I would put some flushing chemicals in there and run it around for a while
then drain down and refill a couple of times to see if this
improves the matter.

Could also be a zone valve for the hot water tank not opening fully.

Thanks for the advice. I'll take the motor of the zone valve when I get home tonight and see if it's that before trying a flush....

Cheers.

If its your cylinder scaled its time for a new one ,have seen cylinders half full with scale before its not unusual depending on where you live

Sponsored Links
I've checked the zone valve, it is opening fully although slowly. I think I'll have a go at flushing with Fernox (DS40 or F3 ???) but I think a new cylinder and boiler could be on the cards, can't complain as they've lasted well.

Thanks for the advice,

Andy.

Sentinel x800 is good too (jet flo).

Can be used for power flushing or residual circulation. I've found this to be good for both

Carl

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back