Descriptions in home shopping catalogues RANT

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone else go through the back pages of these catalogues, at the home technology section, and marvel at the stupidity of some of the home-made descriptions?

"500GB hard drive for dazzling movie performance" ¿QUE? How has the size of the hard drive got anything to do with movie performance? Surely the spec of the monitor, graphics card and processor would play more of a part here!!!!!

"4GB RAM for amazing speed" Errrrrrm . . . . . see above.

Listen up whoever writes this, all I need to know, and all anyone needs to know is that it has 500GB hard drive and 4GB ram. We dont need to know what you THINK these mean, most of us can work it out for ourselves, the rest should seek PROFESSIONAL ADVICE, NOT YOUR ADVICE, since you only want to sell these poor machines by adding erroneous "glitz" to the descriptions.

See, these catalogues are almost entirely used by middle aged women. Thats a fact. Your average middle aged woman doesn't know a hard drive from a RAM (not being sexist, its true), so IMO the above descriptions are created in order to mislead women into buying these products. Maybe I'm being cynical, but if I told my mum that a big hard drive means that movies will play better, she'd believe me. Its unfair.

Would anyone buy anything from these catalogues if they knew they were being lied to and taken for a fool so blatantly?

Oh, and I'm sure companies such as Sony (spotted a glitzed description on their branded page for DVD players) would love to hear about this too.

Anyone else get peeved with "borderline trading standards offence" descriptions? Any examples?

[/rant]

Sponsored Links
I don't read descriptions in home shopping catalogues.
I just look at the pictures :oops:

Sponsored Links
A larger hard drive will make performance better only if its spinning faster. Cant see the actual size of the drive making a huge difference.

More RAM will definitley make the system faster so I can agree with that one. These magazines do try to hype up the descriptions for consumers though

A larger hard drive will make performance better only if its spinning faster. Cant see the actual size of the drive making a huge difference.

More RAM will definitley make the system faster so I can agree with that one. These magazines do try to hype up the descriptions for consumers though
Oh right! Well I'll bear that in mind...... :confused:

Would anyone buy anything from these catalogues if they knew they were being lied to and taken for a fool so blatantly?
If 'they knew they were being lied to'.... I'm guessing not.

its a recent thing normally only laugh at old people fallin over and police cars crashing
You come on here taking the pee outta 'old people' and you think you're gonna be taken into the fold?

You will NEVER be one of the lads coz you is obviously one of them unspeakably....... YOUNG PEOPLE!!!!!

im old make no mistake about it i just do not adhere to the socially demanded way of thinking im young at heart and to me that and my health are the only important things as for the "fold"...... need i say more hope you are enjoying your tea and scones

Sponsored Links
Back