Descriptions in home shopping catalogues RANT

Sponsored Links
My pet peave used to be seeing things in the Argos catalogue labelled as "Digital compatible", or TV aerials being sold as "digital aerials", super-duper "high-speed" phone cables for modems, ultra-fat super-expensive HDMI cables etc. etc.

But then I realised that my angst will not stop the sheisters making a profit off those who don't understand what "digital" actually is, so I don't worry about it anymore! :LOL:

Do NOT mention Argos to me! :evil:

Bought an ALBA telly on Thursday for £249.99 and a toy monkey for my grandson for £14.99.
Gets home and looks at my emails, there is one from Argos telling me I can get a £5 voucher, £100 voucher etc for spending £50, £100 etc.
Went back on Friday to claim my vouchers and was told they didn't start till that day so I couldn't have them.
"Ok, I'll bring the telly back and buy it again today."
"Sorry sir you can't do that."
"Why?"
"Because when you bought it you had to enter your name, address and postcode to check if you had a licence. It takes 3 days for the notification to go through and you can't buy another off us in the meantime by which time the offer will have ended."

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

The wife said last night, (by which time it was too bloody late!)
"You should have took it back and then I could have gone in and bought one."

WOMEN!!!!!!

Aaaargh!
Lost out on £25!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Too late now anyway, the vouchers stopped on Sunday.
Hence the wife being too late mentioning it on Sunday night!

:evil:

when you bought it you had to enter your name, address and postcode to check if you had a licence.

Bit of a liberty that, they tried it on me in Lidl's when I bought a DVD player, I just gave false details. I do have a TV licence, it's just the principle.
Plus I like the idea of TV licencing officer walking around looking for number 69 Pi5soffyoutw@ Avenue.

why give him my address what have i ever done to you dont think they walk anywhere we pay for their heated motors and scanning equipment

when you bought it you had to enter your name, address and postcode to check if you had a licence.

Bit of a liberty that, they tried it on me in Lidl's when I bought a DVD player, I just gave false details.
Why? All they do with the info is pass on to TV licensing.

Conny, that excuse is a load of bulltish. They can refund the TV when they like, as soon as they complete the transaction the info is sent straight to TV licensing. The only reason they wouldnt let you is because it would open the floodgates for everyone else who was in the same situation. I'm sure there is something in the T&Cs of the offer to this effect. It'll be in their rules.

And you'd have got £10 vouchers for the TV, not £25. The offer is "£10 voucher if you spend over £100" Not "£5 voucher for every £50 you spend".

In previous years they have run £5, £10 and £15 vouchers for over £50, £100 and £150 respectively. Seems they have scrapped the £15 offer this year.

I used to work there.

IIRC, also freeview equipment is non-returnable unless faulty. Not sure if this is still the case, it was emerging technology when I worked there in '03.

PS even if the adress you give doesnt have a TV license, they will still sell the TV (they cant check there and then they just sent the info away), but the address will recieve a letter from TV licensing.

Steve,
thanks for that info. Don't feel too bad missing out on a tenner. Thought it was £5 for every £50. (memo to self; read the bloody small print dope!) :LOL:

................but she's out of guarantee.

By 30 odd years! Mind you, she did only cost £3 at the time so I suppose not bad value for the money.

rofl5.gif
rofl5.gif

[
IIRC, also freeview equipment is non-returnable unless faulty. Not sure if this is still the case, it was emerging technology when I worked there in '03.

I can't speak for Argos, but there was a handy way around that when buying from the electricals sheds and direct from the operators...

At purchase you simply told them "I live in a flat with a communal aerial" and they would sell you the same equipment, for the same price, but with the ability to send it back if you couldn't get a decent signal. The idea was, if you have a house, you can buy a new aerial for the roof. If you live in Nelson Mandela house, you can't.

I found this out when I got my first onDigital box in 2000... onDigital must have been wondering about blocks of flats appearing in some funny places. ;)

Bought my 1st freeview box from Dixon's few years ago and if it wasn't watchable they would refund it under 7 days, don't know if it's the same now.

Sponsored Links
Back