Design software

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hope this question is in the right place but I did a search and couldn't find what I was looking for. Basically, because our architect hasn't quite jelled with what we want, I need to be able to draw our proposed new house. 2D would be O.K. 3D would be great. It needs to be able to calculate total floor area.

Ideally free because we won't be using it again. Sorry if that sounds mean but I know they are available and I only really want the rudiments of design. I'm not going to be drawing pretty pictures with all the furniture and the kitchen sink !

I just want to draw the floor plans of our proposed new house in readiness for our next meeting. I am using Vista Home Premium if that's relevant.

Many thanks for any replies.

Sponsored Links
This might sound obvious, but sketchup would be my suggestion if it's free software you're looking for.

Perhaos trial software could be considered too. Autodesk AutoCAD 2010 or Autodesk 3dMAX?

Although you need simple cad, auto dimensioning may be useful.

Here's a freeby plus video tutorials and online manual. Could be worth a look.
http://www.emachineshop.com/machine-shop/Download/page100.html

A quick read will bring you up to speed on emachineshop.com and what it is about, eg. in terms of manufacturing parts you design - Not relevant for your requirement, but the basic cad may suite.
---------------------------

Maybe worth a trawl.
'Free and cheap CAD'
Some 'dead' links, but googling package name may reveal new web site.

--------------------------

Failing all the above - Use your printer to knock out some custom 'graph' paper !
http://www.nutsnbits.com/nutsnbits_000060.htm

-0-

Sponsored Links
Thank you for all of those. I thought I had seen a topic on this Forum mentioning various house design programmes.

I have looked at this http://www.homestyler.com/ but can't find out where to get the total footprint area. It does give measurements (a bit untidily) but not a total sq. ft./metre figure.

It's not a download program, it's done on the fly but is fully saveable. 2D or 3D but haven't found any roofs yet ! You have to register but you can do it through Google, Twitter, Facebook, Yahoo if you have accounts with any of those. I registered using my Google account and it worked fine.

Have you downloaded sketchup yet? You'll be banging out allsorts in no time its that easy! Floor area is easy to calculate with a calculator!

Try the Autocad (Autodesk) web site.
You used to be able to download the free trial version which lasts 30 days.
After that you have to purchase product.

If 30 days is not long enough, try downloading on another PC and get an extra 30 days. Note you cannot download the trial version on the same PC twice.

Thank you. I tried Sketchup and a few others but I had to get it done all in one day (last Sunday) so used Homestyler. I had to work out total area manually but that was easy enough. Pity I couldn't put some roofs on.

Anyway, sent them off to architect and have a meeting with him tomorrow. I was quite pleased with what I eneded up with but pride before a fall and all that. :eek:

Have you searched for G.I.M.P online..? G.I.M.P is like a small Photoshop program and is very very good.

Have you searched for G.I.M.P online..? G.I.M.P is like a small Photoshop program and is very very good.

Had a look at that and it looks very comprehensive. But there's only so much I can take on board and at least with Homestyler I was drawing houses, rooms, etc with measurements within 10 minutes.

It's only missing roofs and total area as far as I was concerned. As I say, I was just wanting to get something in front of the architect the following morning and I acheived that.

Try the Autocad (Autodesk) web site.
You used to be able to download the free trial version which lasts 30 days.
After that you have to purchase product.

If 30 days is not long enough, try downloading on another PC and get an extra 30 days. Note you cannot download the trial version on the same PC twice.

As an aside- You can if you run it in virtual pc etc. Just clone the os prior to installing. Mind you it would probably run like a pig in vmware.

Alternatively acronis has a try before you install feature that can remove all traces of software (including the reg keys).

Sponsored Links
Back