Designing a girls bed

Sealing MDF cut edges isn't difficult, just time consuming. Sand the MDF working through the grits up to about P240 or better still P320 grit. The finer you sand the stuff the less the grain should raise when you apply the finish. If possible use a non water-based sealant if you can. I've used all sorts of stuff from oil-based undercoat to clear sanding sealer (basically blond dewaxed shellac flakes dissolved in methylated spirits - Zinnser BIN is quite similar). The first coat should be diluted with the appropriate solvent. Once it's dry denib it with a fine sanding paper and give it a second coat. Three coats should suffice. You can even use good quality spackle (drywall jointing compound), but like any water-based compound it will raise the grain of the MDF quite a lot and require a lot more work flatting back between coats

Sponsored Links
Sand and seal only the exposed fibers (cut or routed). Is that correct.
Normally its the routed and sawn edges which give the most trouble, so yes. The flat surfaces I'd just give a single coat of thinned primer to seal it (just like painting a mist coat onto a plastered wall, really) then flat back to take off any nibs.

Yes. Best done outdoors if you can because it really smells!

Thin with alcohol for the first coat?
After that prime all wood and paint?
Yes.

I know it sounds a bit of a faff, but taking a bit more time, especially over the edges, makes the world of difference to the end result

Thanks.
Here is my issue:.
I made a tracksaw type jig which made my straight line cuts quite straight.
The first wasn't done this way and needs to be filled in a few places.
Even the good cuts may need to be "finished" when the bed is completed in the bedroom.
So I suppose all I can do is my best outside with individual panels, then combine them in the bedroom and finish them off. Possibly need to fill seal sand again in the bedroom.

Paint (majority outside) and finishing inside was going to be this:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Ole...l-Purpose-Spray-Paint-6-Pack-249119/202058700
and this
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Ole...PIPHorizontal1_rr-_-202058700-_-202058702-_-N

Sponsored Links
Possibly need to fill seal sand again in the bedroom.
If the gaps are where panels meet it may be worth considering using decorators caulk (flexible acrylic caulk) in those joints. At least it smoothes out easily and it paints well. Where visible edges are poor you may want to consider making yourself-up a sanding board to smooth out the edge. They're basically a 4in wide piece on 3/4in MDF or plywood with a length of sandpaper roll glued on top with contact adhesive (or even PVA/rubber glue/aliphatic resin). To keep the plot square to the surface and get a true right angle edge you might want to add a fence, which could be as simple as a piece of 2 x 1in batten screwed onto the face:

The grey part is supposed to represent where the sanding paper has been glued. Hope it makes sense

As this is a childs bed, make sure that you take off any arrisses (sharp corners) by sanding them or by using a bearing-guided round-over cutter in a router or trim router (laminate trimmer). The tech is nice, but 80 grit sand paper followed by 120 grit will do almost as well

What's the customer's verdict? That's the most important thing! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back