Desolder with water in pipes, can it be done?

clean it of and use push fit bit more expensive but it do the job and you need to worry about it moving

I've got lots of used copper pipe with nothing wrong with it, so I can do this mostly for free with copper or I probably would have used the plastic stuff.

If there is push fit copper, never heard of it and don't know why I'd want to, most of my soldering is fine I only ask about the rubbish bits :)

Sponsored Links
I don't know the exact length of engagement on a 22mm pipe fitting, I would guess around 18 to 20mm. I'm sure if this was reduced by 2mm it would have no adverse affect. I would not be satisfied with a 2mm engagement (although it may well suffice). when there is every opportunity to improve it.

yes their is push fit copper fittings conex make them

You said they never come off right? Are they really as reliable as making a big ring of metal around it (soldering)? Probably can't afford them anyway, soldering bits of used copper is dirt cheap and I am hard up for the minute... still if they are alright I'll look at them for future

Sponsored Links
I've never considered cleaning a dismantled soldered joint enough to use a speedfit afterwards. Can it really be done?

I'm not qualified to answer any of your questions but hey, I can only look silly right, and I got a question of my own too!

I've cleaned off plenty of bits of tube that had 6 layers of paint on them and made them just as shiny as a new bit of tube... don't see why I couldn't put any connector on it I could put on a new bit of tube, here's the question: if it's shiny and copper colored why wouldn't it be clean enough, does it leave something nasty?

I've never considered cleaning a dismantled soldered joint enough to use a speedfit afterwards. Can it really be done?

I'm not qualified to answer any of your questions but hey, I can only look silly right, and I got a question of my own too!

I've cleaned off plenty of bits of tube that had 6 layers of paint on them and made them just as shiny as a new bit of tube... don't see why I couldn't put any connector on it I could put on a new bit of tube, here's the question: if it's shiny and copper colored why wouldn't it be clean enough, does it leave something nasty?
If you're soldering on, then (active) flux would clean the final bit off anyway. I was asking about whether a dismantled soldered joint could be cleaned back to copper without leaving a layer of solder on it. Just seems to me that it would need that much rubbing down that it may deform or abrase the pipe too much for the silicon ring within a speedfit to create a suitable seal, and that leaving a coating of solder may have a similar effect whilst not providing a suitable surface for the teeth to grip fully onto.

The easy way to make sure you dont end up with this sort of problem again is to use push on plastic stop ends they work in seconds i have even been known to cut live pipes and slam a push fit stop end on if the stop cock is naff or like the last one i had where the stop cock could not be found !

The easy way to make sure you dont end up with this sort of problem again is to use push on plastic stop ends they work in seconds i have even been known to cut live pipes and slam a push fit stop end on if the stop cock is naff or like the last one i had where the stop cock could not be found !

What make is the best one? I only used that stop end cause it was free like all my copper pipe...

A push fit stop end needs more free pipe than an end feed copper stop end.

Yeah, but from what I understand of this thread, the OP doesn't have enough free pipe to use a push fit.

Axel and Mandate told you what to do back on page one, both the simplest and obvious things to do stop fan#ying around listening about push fit get a proper copper cap back on it
and hold it in place next time ;)

Quick tip for keeping the fitting on - use pump pliers to (very) slightly oval the fitting and give it a twist before you solder.[/u][/b]

The reason the stop end moved was expansion of air as you were soldering, you need either an open end or something to stop it moving

...can't you use a compression stop end

...is the long run a dead leg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back