Despicable TVL Behaviour

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My lad is just settling into Halls at Uni.

He gets a letter -the first he has had- from TVL: a red letter addressed to "New Occupier" explaining that they have not had a reply to a previous letter and that they are launching an investigation into why he has not got a TV licence.

He has no need: he does not watch TV and does not have a TV. Even if he did watch TV on a portable device or PC, he would be covered by ours while away at Uni.

Despicable. I will be writing to TVL and the BBC with a high-level complaint.

Sponsored Links
No point...

The company behind the letters/enforcement are Crapita - and they basically don't give a s hit, being the corporate thugs that they are!

Best to ignore rather than get embroiled!

We’ve had lots of similar letter for our iow house. We have no need for a TV there. Your lad is best ignoring them. They will stop eventually. What he shouldn’t do is go on the TVL website a declare he doesn’t need one.

Sponsored Links
I keep getting them at my workshop address. Ignore.
Do you get chased by PRS and PPL

Ive had years of them both trying to extract money out of me if a radio is playing in the factory.

I had to pay it one as they managed to trick my secretary who admitted music was playing.

I looked into the performing righs society, the CEO earns £600k, I mean thats just extracting money to fund himself.

No, just the TV licensing. Get letters from them every 18 months or so. I’ve owned the place since 1984! Nobody has ever been round.

I have had loads of those letters

Being investigated ect ect

Capita :LOL:

We had TV licensing turn up all those years ago at my uni halls. Let the bloke in, showed him our broken tv and told him he was in student halls of residence. He wasn't aware, said something along the lines of 'sod this' and left the area. I guess he couldn't be bothered to talk to a few hundred students!

He has no need: he does not watch TV and does not have a TV. Even if he did watch TV on a portable device or PC, he would be covered by ours while away at Uni.

Is that true? I thought a TV license was required in each property.

Edited to add:

Looked it up, your son isn't covered with your license if he watches anything online.

https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/tv-licences-what-students-need-know

"Halls of residence
If you live in halls of residence and watch or record TV in your room, you will need your own TV licence".

Big mistake...

Standard reply is "I have no information to give you, goodbye"
Didn't bother me in the slightest, so no, not a big mistake. Thanks anyway for your input. :rolleyes: :sleep:

Last edited by a moderator:
Fair enough...

If you want to waive your right to withdraw the 'implied right of access' :)
I am an adult, I was an adult at Uni. I knew my rights back then and I know them now. If you had not been so keen as to tell people what they should do, you'd have noticed that I said we had a broken TV. I let the chap in because we didn't need a license and it would stop them coming around and bothering us.

I am perfectly capable of making my own decisions without your know-it-all smug input. Thanks all the same. (y)

Get a life.You soundso pompous and arrogant....”high level” my aris....ffs
Love you too, DP.:sneaky:

The BBC know already (that these bully-boy tactics are being carried out) but the more WE complain about it, the better.

Both PPL & PRS licences are the law for factories, offices, shops etc. In fact anyone and anywhere licenced music is played which can be heard by people other than the person playing the music, must be covered by both licences. Technically, (though it is rarely enforced and my wife, who worked in the music/entertainment industry for many years, has never heard of this being enforced), you should have both licences if you have passengers in your car/home/caravan etc and you play music they can hear.
The licences don't just pay a royalty to top musicians, (which is actually miniscule compared to sales/promotion royalties), they also to help up and coming artists build up their career and promote themselves.

Sponsored Links
Back