Detached flat above garages - loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a freehold coach house. The property is currently a one bedroom flat. I would ideally like to add another bedroom. The roof is too low to convert as is. I was considering if doing something at the front of the property would be an option, but this is a shared parking area. There is no space on either side of the property to permit a side extension.

Reviewing planning guidance is complicated as sometimes the property is referred to as a flat and other times a house...Has anyone ever encountered any permitted extensions i.e. loft or front to these properties please?

Thanks
Cate
frontview of my house.JPG

Sponsored Links
Isn't a 'flat' defined as self contained dwelling within one building that is divided horizontally?

something at the front of the property would be an option
I dont think that it is.

You'll have great difficulty in getting a bedroom-sized extension on the front of this approved from a planning perspective. Then you've got rights of access issues for building at ground level in that shared yard.

And don't forget about the internal access to it via the existing bedroom or whatever.

I suspect it was built as a one-bed flat for a reason.

Sponsored Links
what some people do with this type property is if the garge by the front door is your they convert that to a room

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back