Detached Garage double garage joined to a neighbours Regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a double garage on our drive way and our neighbours garage backs onto it. I want to make this in an office for me to work from home / Man Cave do I need building Regs?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Any conversion of a garage to a habitable space will require Building Regulations irrespective to its location.

Also check to see if there are any Planning restrictions as a result of previous restrictive covenants, conditions or withdrawal of PD rights. Your Planning department should be able to advise of any restrictions.

Depends on what you're going to do to it.
Unless you're going to insulate the floor it"ll never pass as habitable.
If you are adding a window make sure it doesn't overlook your neighbours.
If you are parking car(s) in part of the garage you need fire and atmospheric separation between that bit and the mancave bit, as well as maintaining means of escape and adequate ventilation from both bits.
So what you got in mind?

Planning permission
Building Regulation approval
Council tax/rates
Covenants on the Deeds
Insurance

Sponsored Links
When I did the same thing in the last house (subsequently sold with no comment) it was told to me that a detached outbuilding that was exempt from building regs due to its size and location, remained exempt if you modified the internals, as long as you didn't add sleeping accommodation. AFAIK garden rooms, offices, summerhouses etc <30sqm are generally exempt from BR (with some qualifications regarding height, proximity to boundary etc). If you add electrics, plumbing -these do come under BC, but only for those elements of work.

As I say, I subdivide my detached garage on the last house to make a little work area, and during the sale (Sep 19) with survey etc, no one batted an eyelid at it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back