Detached house front extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear All,

Some advice and suggestions please.

I am in the process of building a new pitched roof porch to compliment my high pitched gable roof, as per the 3d drawing below, once this is complete I am looking into the possibility of extending our living room at the front by adding a front extension as per second 3d drawing aprox 8m x 2.5m with a slanting tiled roof, steel lintels in and knock out present exterior walls.

Would you mind taking a look at my rough 3d drawings and give your opinion as to design feasibility and perhaps how to best incorporate this extension into the present house design. I don't feel the chalet style house makes it particularly easy to design an extension, although there is plenty of flat garden area in which to extend onto.

My main issue is that my neighbour has a bedroom window just at the edge of our house (as per 2nd photo) and I believe there is a 45 degree angle rule for light allowance when extending.

All comments and suggestions welcome. We have a very very steep garden at the rear which is why we are looking to extend the front rather than dig out and extend the rear.

Many thanks

Ben

Sponsored Links
I think you're main issue will be planning, that looks awful on the front. And the roof pitch of what you've drawn looks woefully inadequate to support tiles as opposed to a flat roof material.

As to the loss of light it depends how much of an issue your your particular council considers it, they all vary with their approach to this.

Sponsored Links
Any thoughts on how to improve the design to improve the asthetics. Other than making it a double extension and re roof.

A flat roof will look better than any pitched roof in that situation

What about following the pitch of the existing roof to just below the existing first floor window, then changing to flat.

Thanks Ronny, i do like that suggestion, I will have a play with the design. Ben

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back