Details on how french doors are fitted?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking to have upvc french doors fitted soon and was wondering how you would suggest they should be done. I will only be doing the finishing myself but I am curious as to how they will be fitted.

They are going in place of a 4 foot window (doors will be 1090 x 2090). House is a 25 year old kit house, single brick exterior. So the window opening will be extended down with a stihl saw presumably, then how will the doors be fixed? Would you normally fix the doors to the brick or the inside frame?

What is the best way to finish them? Would you cover the bricks outside with a upvc facing or try and patch the render back in?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
How is your cavity closed and the reveals done? This will determine how the window is fitted.

Is the exterior brick rendered? If so then making good will be easy. If not then the perps should be in line anyway so the absolute proper way to do it is to saw down the joints then clean mortar off the exposed ends that now from the reveal and then tooth out the cut bricks and replace them with halfs.

This takes a lot of time and is why many people will cover with PVC trim or paint the whole reveal white.

How is your cavity closed and the reveals done?

Sorry I do not fully understand what you mean by these 2 terms.

The exterior is rendered yes.

Thanks for the reply.

Sponsored Links
How are your walls contructed? An outer skin of brick and then what? A timber frame on the inside? Is there a cavity of any sort between them?

In a normal cavity wall the outer skin and inner skin obviously have to be closed together at window and door openings, Essentially the gap between them is filled at the sides with a brick/ block (and some insulation and dpc) the window is then fitted against the inner edge of the outer skin. The sides of the opening are called reveals.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back