1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Detatched timber shed

Discussion in 'Building' started by Caroleuk, 27 Jan 2019.

Tags:
  1. Caroleuk

Caroleuk

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I'm looking to build a new timber shed of around 10' X 20' I need to do it pretty fast so if anyone has any plans (mainly a cutting list) that would be great.
    Planning won't be an issue as it's well within my boundary and over 2 metres from the house.
    Not too bothered if it' pent (front to rear) or apex but pent would be an easier build.

I have built my own sheds many times before but that was many moons ago and I'm getting on a bit now, but still looking forward to the job. :)

2. Notch7

Notch7

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I built an 18ft x 9ft shed recently.

I used:
    Walls
    100 x 50 studwork
    18mm osb
    Tyvek housewrap
    50 x 25 battens
    Featheredge

Roof
    150 x 50
    18mm osb

Floor
    100 x 50
    18mm osb

What you need depends on what type of building you want.

Its definitely worth using a breathable membrane, then battens for a 25mm cavity, then cladding.

Thst way the breathable membrane makes the walls weathertight and the cladding acts as the visual finish. Also a cavity behind the cladding will create airflow and space for rain to run out extending the lifespan of the cladding. Although expensive housewrap is very good -worth the money IMO

3. Caroleuk

Caroleuk

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks Notch7

The membrane sounds like a good idea, I'm building a garage with workshop space at the back and with the car being a classic I think I will put in some insulation as well.
    Was yours a pent or an apex roof?