Developing own website and google adwords

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am not a computer minded person, so please don't get over complexed with advice.
How hard would it be to develop own website and get a google listing?
Seen "one com", what are your thoughts?

Sponsored Links
There's a number of steps required, none of which is over technical but you learn loads on the way!

1. Register a domain name - go to 123reg.co.uk as they allow complete control of DNS and they are cheap.

2. Register a .co.uk domain name if possible, or another .uk TLD. Google automatically recognises these as UK domains and you stand a better chance of getting into UK natural google search results. You can still do it with a .com but there are extra steps required, i.e setting geography in Google accounts.

3. Get Web hosting. Again, 123reg.co.uk is a good place to start. If you are planning on selling stuff you will need hosting with a Database. If you are stuck, I provide Web services including Website Hosting ;)

4. For ease, I would then recommend setting up a Wordpress website. After setting up FTP and a MySQL Database on your hosting - download the wordpress template from http://www.wordpress.com

5. Search the web for wordpress templates. Download one then upload to your site via FTP and follow the instructions on changing themes. Also add the All-in-one SEO plugin.

6. Populate your site!

7. Set up a Google Account.. You can use any email address - probably best to set an email address up on your new domain and use that.

You then need to use the plethora of Google Tools - this scratches Googles back and they will scratch yours in return.

Set up Google Analytics and add the code to yourweb site.
Set up a Google Webmaster account to check for problems on your new site.
Create a Google Adwords account, then telephone Google straightaway without setting up any campaigns. When you explain that you are new they will set your first campaign up for you. As for Campaign budgets, I believe that you need to spend 10% of your expected Web Turnover on Adwords. YOU WILL NO REAP THE REWARDS STRAIGHT AWAY. Because of the Google Adwords works, you will initially pay over-the-odds per click but as your quality score goes up the amount you pay comes down.

See you in 6 months!

regards
Kevin Russell

There is no reason why you need a database if you are selling products or services, you can create "flat" pages rather than dynamically generated pages directly from a database. I would recommend some sort of Content Management System for maintaining them if there are a number - which requires a Database and allows you to create files for Google Products etc.

Also if you are selling products or services online you can go two ways with payment gateways: PayPal and Others.

With PayPal you can create the buttons within your Paypal account and paste the code into your Website. Obviously PayPal appeals to a certain type of shopper so it will depend on what you are selling. If you are selling pre-owned XBox Games go for Paypal. If you are selling Diamond braceletes go for WorldPay or SagePay - need to contact your Bank and ask for a Merchant Account Number in these isntances. This is required for taking online payments.

Sponsored Links
I use one.com; I find them reliable, cheap and easy to use!

You can register the domain and your account with them all in one easy signup process then they email all the details you need.

Their web builder tool thing is good for beginners as there are not too many options that over complicate things. They have about 30 templates from memory, so if you are a complete novice then you just pick a template in the style you like and fill in the text and images.

You can add as many pages as you like and it will auto-build the menus, tabs etc. for you then just hit 'publish' and you're done, your site is online on the domain you purchased at signup.

As for google etc. the above advice is good....

I think it very much depends on what your after.

-A one page 'I do this and this is my phone number' that turns up on google.
-A multi page site with photos, examples, details, contacts, etc, but still statit flat pages.
-A dynamic interactive site e-commerce site, or a online forum like this, etc.

Can you elaborate, or provide a link to a similar site to what you would like.

Daniel

What I am after is a website to promote my services as a tradesman, doesn't have to be signing and dancing.
I am qualified and experienced in number of trades.
And also get involved in contracting other work out.
So ideally looking to present the service I can provide, photographs of work contact details etc.
A Front page about company,qualifications, experience and associated memberships to trade organisations, a page for each trade with links to a picture gallery for each and contact details and testimonies of work
what's the difference between
org.uk
.com
co.uk
.co
.biz
.net
.info
etc

There are various Top level Domains for different uses.

The .info indicate and information site, and .org domain is supposedly reserved for Organisations, .biz for business etc.

The.co is actually for columbian domains although some Registrars have been pushing it as a must have UK domain.

I really would steer you toward a .co.uk domain - Google recognises the UK as being for the UK market, many of the others (.com, .biz, .net) are "global" domains and require a bit of extra guidance to get google to recognise it as a UK specific domain.

Regards
Kevin

I would also be looking to use a .co.uk name.

Something short, rememberable, and spelt/typed as its said. Ie, no hyponations etc.

Daniel

Sponsored Links
Back