Dewalt or makita?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I think the 12v stuff is better value than 10.8v -

It's all the same. Some market it as 12v and some are more honest. From any brand the nominal operating voltage is 10.8v but a fully charged battery will be 12-14v (3x4.2v lithium cells nominal)

Milwaukee or Bosch (blue) in that order
Can't comment on Milwaukee, but I've got a few blue Bosch tools and can heartily recommend them. Also got a Makita corded planer which seems pretty good, but I very rarely use it.

But the mention of Milwaukee does give me an excuse to link to this bit of humour: http://www.team.net/mjb/hawg.html

I’m only a diyer so don’t need pro tools.
But who buys tools only on the basis of need? :sneaky:

Seriously - look at s/h "pro" tools on eBay - you can get some good bargains. With cordless ones I guess you should budget for battery replacement/rebuilds.

Got Milwaukee
Hitachi
Makita
Ryobi
Had Dewalt think they were owned or are owned by black and decker ??? Who's early cordless kit was used on the moon afaik

I have a good mixture of brands, but mostly 240v corded stuff.

Have a Bosch blue 18v drill-driver and impact kit, which is great and the batteries last very well
Have a few Makita 240v tools, also good, had an SDS drill fail and be replaced promptly under warranty
At the moment I've got a lot of time for Hitachi / HiKoki kit. It seems well priced compared to some of the other big brands, has a 3 year warranty when registered, and I've not had any faults in 5 years.

Last edited:
Manager of a non-chain independent tool shop told me that much of the power tools sold Screwfix/Toolstation/etc. are made specially for them, to a lower spec than the "proper" versions. The cynic in me says he would say that wouldn't he? However I've read this goes on for domestic appliances sold by supermarkets too. Any truth to this, do we think?

Also I read (probably on here) that most power tools are made in China or eastern Europe, and the Japanese made versions are better. How does one actually find the Jap-built ones? Or is this a myth?

Many Thanks - braniff

Manager of a non-chain independent tool shop told me that much of the power tools sold Screwfix/Toolstation/etc. are made specially for them, to a lower spec than the "proper" versions. The cynic in me says he would say that wouldn't he? However I've read this goes on for domestic appliances sold by supermarkets too. Any truth to this, do we think?

Also I read (probably on here) that most power tools are made in China or eastern Europe, and the Japanese made versions are better. How does one actually find the Jap-built ones? Or is this a myth?

Many Thanks - braniff

Unlikely, if it's the same model number, but different in some way then that would be a contravention of the trade description act.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back