DHW from Boilermate 2000

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My daughter is complaining that the hot water, which is supplied from a Boilermate 2000, is too hot.
Is the problem most likely to be a faulty temperature sensor and, if so, is this component a straightforward job to replace? Might the problem lie elsewhere and, if so, how can the faulty component be identified? This is not a job I will be taking on as my daughter lives 200 miles away but I am just trying to get a feel as to what a plumber might be up against when I employ one.

By the way, I've read all the adverse comments regarding Boilermates, but my daughter is stuck with it for the present I'm afraid. Thanks for at least reading my questions.

Sponsored Links
What is the temperature of the hot water it should be approximately 60deg C

What temperature does she expect or want?

Most people blend some cold water at the point of use to get whatever temperature they need.

Tony

Truth is I don't know, but another daughter and recent visitors were saying the hot water was exceedingly hot. . I hope the repairing plumber will measure the water temperature. From what I have read about the workings of Boilermates, I understand that the store temperature is somewhere around 80 deg. C, but even if the store temperature is above what it should be I reason that the DHW sensor should still make the necessary adjustment to the hot/cold mix to stabilise the hot water outlet temperature at 60 deg.C max.

Sponsored Links
Perfectly true about the blending but I am only going from what I am being told by persons who have previously used both electric hot water tanks and combi boilers for their sources of DHW. So they are probably experienced enough to know if the present system, which was already installed when they moved in 6 months ago, is delivering exceedingly hot water. I get the impression, however, that you think it wouldn't be a bad idea to hold a suitable thermometer under a hot water flow to measure its temperature as a first step. I will see if they can beg, borrow or steal such a thermometer.

It always helps with engineering matters to have measurements so that a proper analysis can be made of what, if anything, is wrong.

Tony

Boilermate 2000 being a thermal store ????

Thermomixing valve on the hot supply directly out of the store ??

That's where the problems arise because there have been several different versions of the Boilermate.

The one that engineers don't like uses digital sensors and a plate HE supplied with store water using a modulating pump to control the temperature. [ actually I think its really a standard pump with triac control ].

Then there is the simple one, that engineers like better, with a DHW heating coil feeding a passive TMV using probably containing a wax element to control the temperature.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back