Diamond discs for angle grinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just broken up an old concrete path, about four inches thick, first using a grinder to cut it into sections before carefully applying the sledgehammer. I used ordinary stone cutting discs to cut the concrete and they wore down in no time at all.

I have another four square metres of concrete to take up and would rather not use the bog standard discs again, so I'm thinking of investing in diamond blades.

Do forum users consider the diamond versions to be worth the money in terms of cutting efficiency and extra cutting capacity?

Ta.

Sponsored Links
In my limited experience, yes (I'm chippie so I don't use a angle grinder that much). I used a diamond disc to cut away a granolit floor to form a wheelchair ramp a couple of years back and it cut faster than fabric bonded discs as well as lasting much longer - probably 20 times the life for 15 times the price

Cheers for that. I bought a pack of 5 bog standard discs from a well known trade supplier, and after just one cut the edges of the first one started to shred quite noticeably. I might go for the diamonds this time round and hang the expense.

For what it costs for the diamond disc (which also don't last forever and work better with a little coolant) you could hire an electric breaker from your local tool hire place. Loads of fun too!
Bosch-Brute-BH2760VC-Breaker-Hammer.jpg

Nozzle

Sponsored Links
We're limited for tool hire around here and I didn't much like the practice at the one local firm of asking for a deposit on a credit card, and adding cleaning and sharpening charges on return, wiping out the less-than-generous discount I was offered when I rang to book the tool. I had hired a core bit and SMS drill to make a hole for a humidistat fan in my bathroom, and the thing wasn't particularly sharp when I hired it, so those additional charges seemed like a racket to me.

However, I do realise that a breaker would probably be a more efficient way of dealing with the concrete, so I'll give it some thought.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back