Did the Electrician Cause Flickering Lights?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I asked an electrician to come and replace my consumer unit and tidy up some wires.

He came and replaced it with a fusebox unit.
Then, because of a continuity fault somewhere, he checked all the sockets in my kitchen, one by one.
Couldn't find the fault. But he tested them for safety and signed it off.

But ever since he did that job, the kitchen lights (LED dimmable spotlights) have been flickering every time.

Would you say that this flickering is related to something the Electrician did or it's just a coincidence?

JH

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Well it is your starter for 10.
Actually I have been told "My Telly doesn`t work but it did before you rewired my house so it might be letting too much electric into my TV set now!"

Forgive my ignorance. What is a starter and where do I find it?
I have Spotlights.

Sponsored Links
Don't you think that the continuity fault that the electrician couldn't find is causing your flickering lights?

What is a starter
"starter for ten" is a phrase, like saying "that's the smoking gun" - you never owned a gun, and your notyour gun never consumed a cigarette

I can see where the confusion arose, given that some forms of lighting do have "starters" :D

Last edited:
Ok great, any idea what the issue could be and how I could remedy it?
Is it something I can do or would I need an electrician?

JH

Sorry yes, the "Starter for 10" is an old saying in the TV prog "University Challenge" with Bamber Gascogne . The starter for ten was the first question. So I was eluding to - it might be a clue in the first instance, although I did suggest that it might not, in itself, be proof.
I think employing a decent electrician might be best option for you

Is the dimmer suitable for dimmable LEDs? If not start with one that is.

the "Starter for 10" is an old saying in the TV prog "University Challenge" with Bamber Gascogne
I remember when the program was first broadcast, a letter in one of the newspapers said: 'how dare they use these disgusting Americanisms on our English programs!'. I never really understood.

The flicker is often due to multi items, being careful not to call them faults, interaction between an electronic switch and bulb is main one, but the length of cable forming an aerial could also be the cause.

I had it with these G9-comp.jpgbulbs, the large one has a smoothing capacitor nearly as big as the whole of the small bulb. Put one quartz bulb with the other 4 LED and flicker stops, change the electronic switch for mechanical and flicker stops, I fitted the larger bulbs to stop all flicker.

Some bulbs are very basic, LED's with a resistor across them to ensure they switch off, supplied from a full wave rectifier with a capacitor across the DC to stop flicker, and a capacitor feeding them to limit the current used. Others are rather complex 20220603_113820_1.jpg this is a GU10 smart bulb, working out what is going on will not be easy.

The problem is the user has no idea what is inside, so it is suck it and see.

Yes mistakes can be made, I was called to a new build where the telephones kept dingaling, since new build wanted to show we cared, but did not expect to find any fault, part of the show was plug in my loop impedance meter and press the buttons, and I got odd readings, so looked in the consumer unit.

It transpired the guy fitting it picked it up off the supplier populated, but the supplier had just popped the MCB's in the slots so he could hand it over as one unit, and all the bus bar terminals were loose, yes the electrician should check are terminals for tightness, but he only tested those he connected.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back