Did the Electrician Cause Flickering Lights?

Speak to the electrician you used. Hopefully they will want to return and make sure everything is fine, if it turns out it wasn't an issue they caused you can be billed for the repair.

Sponsored Links
A very easy thing to do would be to replace the dimmer with an ordinary switch.

If the lights stop flickering, the dimmer (or the connections to it) are the issue.

A very easy thing to do would be to replace the dimmer with an ordinary switch.
Another very easy thing to do - try the spotlights in another fitting, and if you can't do that, just change one of the bulbs.
Flickering is a very common failure mode for LED bulbs, and if they were all fitted at the same time, they may also all fail at a similar time.

Sponsored Links
Well it is your starter for 10.
Actually I have been told "My Telly doesn`t work but it did before you rewired my house so it might be letting too much electric into my TV set now!"
Yep, had something vaguely similar.
When I purchased my first home in 1983 a neighbour blamed my amateur radio transmissions for wiping the picture off his TV. At my cost (actually provided by PO radio interference guys but he didn't need to know that) I provided a filter (but he wouldn't let me in to fit it) then test transmissions gave one horizontal black line through the middle of the screen. He was happy with that.

A couple of years later his TV was in the front garden awaiting collection I asked about it. 405 transmissions had stopped so he had to replace his set. He didn't want to try the new set without the filter 'because it was such a good picture with it in place', it was then he admitted he'd been suffering with interference since CB started so several years before I was around.

I think you should employ another electrician to investigate.

I have noticed smart bulbs do seem to flicker before they fail, and I am not sure if spikes can damage multi bulbs at the same time, but seems likely, so I did fit the SPD when changing my consumer unit, I find the requirement to explain to customer why he should fit the SPD and then letting him to decide if to fit, a bit of a problem, as I am not sure if required or not, but if not fitted, then you can't really complain if a spike damages a few bulbs.

As to the radio ham interference, when studying for my UK licence, a fellow student had put up an aerial ready, bought the rig, but had decided not to use it until he got his licence so it just say there as a decoration not even plugged in, but the neighbours were complaining about the interference.

In the end we found out why, our friend a CB user would call on him quite regular, and sit in his car finishing his conversion before knocking on his door, and it was that CB using a little over the 4 watts permitted, think at least one zero added, which was causing the problem.

There is only one other radio ham in the village, and I live in a valley, and rarely used HF in the UK, did all of that with my VP8 licence, so my duel band radio is only used today for licensing to the local railway repeater, so can't say what the use of LED bulbs and powerline adaptors has done. But one has to accept if using things like powerline adaptors or your neighbours use them, that they can effect electronic items plugged into the same mains supply.

Desk lamp upgraded to LED from previous incandescent. Walkie talkie ( 161.xx MHz ) when on desk next to LED lamp reception was corrupted. Moved a few feet from lamp and clear reception.

I have noticed smart bulbs do seem to flicker before they fail, and I am not sure if spikes can damage multi bulbs at the same time, but seems likely, so I did fit the SPD when changing my consumer unit, I find the requirement to explain to customer why he should fit the SPD and then letting him to decide if to fit, a bit of a problem, as I am not sure if required or not, but if not fitted, then you can't really complain if a spike damages a few bulbs.

As to the radio ham interference, when studying for my UK licence, a fellow student had put up an aerial ready, bought the rig, but had decided not to use it until he got his licence so it just say there as a decoration not even plugged in, but the neighbours were complaining about the interference.

In the end we found out why, our friend a CB user would call on him quite regular, and sit in his car finishing his conversion before knocking on his door, and it was that CB using a little over the 4 watts permitted, think at least one zero added, which was causing the problem.

There is only one other radio ham in the village, and I live in a valley, and rarely used HF in the UK, did all of that with my VP8 licence, so my duel band radio is only used today for licensing to the local railway repeater, so can't say what the use of LED bulbs and powerline adaptors has done. But one has to accept if using things like powerline adaptors or your neighbours use them, that they can effect electronic items plugged into the same mains supply.
Due to that situation I described, my policy ever since has been to put any new aerial up and not use it (even avoiding installing a feeder or initial testing) for a while and wait for the complaints which often arrive before the transmitting starts.

And to demonstrate a point, the neighbour Son to the left of this recently cleared a load of overgrowth, they rediscovered they had a greenhouse and soon complained this 'new aerial' was causing a problem, it has been there prior to 2012 according to gmaps.
I suspect they are looking at selling as the elderly owner is now very immobile.
1681037741618.png

Last edited:
Due to that situation I described, my policy ever since has been to put any new aerial up and not use it (even avoiding installing a feeder or initial testing) for a while and wait for the complaints which often arrive before the transmitting starts.

In the many decades since I moved here, and from the start, I've had a massive inverted V, two monopoles, amateur TV antennas, plus a wifi long distance link. At one time, I even had a mobile mast fully extended, in my drive. All are unmissable, but I have never had any complaints.

ok, I ordered some new dimmable GU10 bulbs from Amazon and changed them with what I had.

Now I have a different problem.

If I set the brightness to 100%, then it flickers every second or so.

If I reduce it to 95%, it flickers less often.

If I set it to below 90%, it doesn't seem to flicker.

Could it have to do with the type of bulbs in the circuit?

JH

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back