Diesel filter change

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. The time has come to do the filters. I havent done many fuel ones so I watched a few youtube videos and read the Haynes manual. They all said roughly the same thing. I thought i'd watch one more video then crack on. It was an Autodoc one and all was going well when just before the end they calmly said "now bleed the air out the system".
Thats thrown me a bit. Its an 2008 vw passat 2.0 tdi. Does anyone have an opinion if theres much chance of getting air in the system?
Cheers.

Sponsored Links
You will get air into the system but this can be minimised if you fill the canister full with clean diesel before you fix the end cap on......or fill it first if its the sealed type.
The car cranking will clear any residual air.....its nothing to be worried about but post a photo of the filter if you like.
John :)

I THINK your VW will have an electric lift pump in the fuel tank (it should be practically self bleeding if so).

Our 2013 Kuga doesn't and it would have been a nightmare without the proper primer.

You will get air into the system but this can be minimised if you fill the canister full with clean diesel before you fix the end cap on......or fill it first if its the sealed type.
The car cranking will clear any residual air.....its nothing to be worried about but post a photo of the filter if you like.
Picture attached i think.
I noticed the auto doc video didn't add any fuel.

Attachments

• IMG_20210406_205821.jpg
    IMG_20210406_205821.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 113
Sponsored Links
If it’s like our Golf, I’m pretty sure the top comes off and a paper element goes in. I just then fill the bowl with diesel, pop the top back on, reconnect the pipes and that’s it.

Like this.

I think yours may have the bigger rubber flange on the top of the filter, Mottie?
Either way, filling the container with fuel is the way to go, although the engine will do it for you if there’s enough juice in the battery ......on the 1.6 CR engine it takes 12 sec :(

I’m pretty sure when I do mine, I remove the hoses and mount the filter onto the head unit before filling the canister with fuel and refitting.

On mine, its pipes off, torx screws out and cap off, filter out, pump out fuel residue, new filter in, fill slowly from the top, cap on and screws, pipes on and away we go.
Edit - it's not always necessary to remove the pipes from the top.....if it can be swung out of the way it reduces any chance of leakage from those horrible sprung clips.
J.

Last edited:
If this is the video the OP watched, I quote (copied/pasted) one of its comments,

"The screws for the filter lid should have blue locktite on the threads, and needs 6 Nm torque. A tip to almost eliminate the need to bleed air from the system, is to fill the filter housing with fresh clean diesel, with the new filter installed. Don't overfill. A little air will bleed itself. Diesel is toxic to you and parts of the engine not designed for it. Use gloves, like single use latex. Put paper towels around the filter housing while you work"

I noticed a Filtron brand fuel filter is used. Although the brand is now owned by Mann-Hummel (as is Wix Filters), I'd use a Mann filter because they are OE to VW.

Unless I missed something, he didn't bale out the filter housing so there could be water or even pump debris left inside......
I'd also pack the area with rags as the alternator belt always gets a soaking on these :eek:
Never used Loctite either!

Does the filter in that car not have a built in water separator?
I'm sure that our SEAT Leon does.

If this is the video the OP watched, I quote (copied/pasted) one of its comments,

"The screws for the filter lid should have blue locktite on the threads, and needs 6 Nm torque. A tip to almost eliminate the need to bleed air from the system, is to fill the filter housing with fresh clean diesel, with the new filter installed. Don't overfill. A little air will bleed itself. Diesel is toxic to you and parts of the engine not designed for it. Use gloves, like single use latex. Put paper towels around the filter housing while you work"

I noticed a Filtron brand fuel filter is used. Although the brand is now owned by Mann-Hummel (as is Wix Filters), I'd use a Mann filter because they are OE to VW.

Thats the video yes.

From looking at various videos it seems the older the vw the less they recomend bleeding. Ill probably have a go on Sunday an hope for the best. There is a description in the manual about bleeding the system but you need to know if its common rail or PD. And I dont know. And its not very clear where everything is anyway.

Theres a video on utube by bodgit and leggit where he services a vw passat. Its 2 years older than mine @ 2006 and a 1.9L, mines 2.0. But he mentions that one self bleeds. And he really fills it up with dsl, doesnt change the o ring though. Its similar to the video Mottie linked.

Regarding if its a PD or CR engine, go to Millers oil check, type in the reg and they usually quote the engine code. A bit of internet research will give you the engine specs.

If you're doing an oil change, I'd wager its 5w30 VW507.00. As above, I'd use a Mann filter.

Thanks,
yes got the mann filter, had to get bosch for the oil though.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back