Diesel Peugot not very hot!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just bought a "T" 106 to replace an "M" reg.

Both have the same 1525 cc naturally aspirated diesel engine.

The older one has done 177k and the newer one 102k. The newer one has a non smoking engine with good compression.

BUT the old one drives like a sports car at lower speeds compared with the newer one. The torque seems much lower.

Any suggestions as to why the performance of the apparently far better one could be so comparatively poor?

Tony

Sponsored Links
Manufacturing parameters are likely to be the greatest cause, which is why performance engines are 'blueprinted' to give maximum power.....this includes variables such as compression, valve timing, injector pump timing etc.
Maybe your original diesel was simply a 'good 'un' - or maybe there's even different ratios in the gearbox!
John :)

It sounds like you bought a car that never got hardship. Probably never got a good hard drive?

And all the easy stuff is as it should be? Air filter (try it without for 1-2 miles) fuel filter (new one regardless of the miles on the old). And as john said low profile tyres (reduced wheel diameter) will help with the ratios.

Its getting up to full revs?

A nice sooty exhaust can also knock spots off a diesel - and I've always found Bosch injector pumps to be better than Lucas ones, so there :p
John :)

Sponsored Links
The new one comes with alloys and low profile tyres but I expect the final drive is adjusted to give the same revs per mph.

I could do some comparative tests if only I had a local friend who was half capable. But unfortunately most of the people I know are non technical, just want to get drunk or something like that.

Its so annoying to me that 80% of the people I know dont keep their mobile with them all the time and in many cases leave it off. That includes a solicitor who relies on casual work jobs!

I will check the air and fuel filter later but generally its been wekk maintained with a new cambelt marked on the cover.

The peugeot main dealer told me they DONT makk the car when they change a cambelt!

Tony

If it has a Bosch mechanical injection pump its quite easy to up the fuel input which can improve the performance without ruining the emissions if done carefully.

Peter

The new one comes with alloys and low profile tyres but I expect the final drive is adjusted to give the same revs per mph.

Yes but the overall diameter (different rims) might be larger on the new car?

Put some 2 stroke oil in the tank when you fill up. It helps lubricate the parts that diesel fuel doesn't.
Dont knock it - until you try it.
No need to put a lot in or measure it--just a dollop/slug of it helps-.
if you doubt me- do a google search and see. Look at Transit forum.
I use it in my Transit and also in my Audi. My vette- on the other hand is petrol and does not need it.

Sponsored Links
Back