Difference between Line/load Mains/Load

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi need advice for a pull cord thats completly fallen apart at the house we've just moved in to. Knocked the power off and taped them all up for now and have a replacement switch. My Question is how do I know which set of 3 wires is for the load and which is the line? basically have about 3 inches of wire through a hole in the ceiling and ceiling is plastered so can' easily check it back to the shower... Any help really appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I take it the power is off at the mains, a continuity test across red and black will show open circuit with the shower switch off on the unit and a slightly shorted reading with shower switch on

Power is off yes, was hoping I could get hand up hole to feel along for whichever is running to the shower but the hole is too small. I'm guessing test you describe I'd need an amp meter or something? if so I haven't got one so guess will have to take a step back. Cheers

50 /50 chance of just quessing right anyway , feed and load reversed would just cause the neon to stay on permanently, if that happens then isolate and do the other way

Sponsored Links
50/50? sounds fair... one hiccup the switch I bought to replace has no LED... so if I guess wrong what can potentially happen? are we talking wire melting or fused?

double checked does have LED... so can try, second part stands will I damage anything?

Its 50/50 regarding the input and output only.

The L and N connections need to be in the relevant contacts and earth continuity maintained to the shower.

Dont take it personally but do you know someone a little more competent than yourself to assist you, as safety is paramount in a shower enviroment.

Get a multimeter, you can pick one up for under a tenner. There are numerous video's on youtube to show you how to use them.

Thanks for the pointers and no offence taken on my level of knowledge. Think I'll wait till mate who is a sparky is around at weekend.

Me thinks Tom forgot that the previous day he had submerged the metre in 10 gallons of water. :LOL:

Tom, (me number one fan) when are you going to add some new videos for us?

How rude. I am not a plumber, and more importantly, I am NOT from Lancashire :evil:

Hey I`m from Lancashire (of which Yorkshire is a suburb of since that Roses Fiasco)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back