Different size air bricks outside - is this OK?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have just had FMB builder round to look at the ventilation issue in my house. He recommends replacing most of the air bricks (currently single brick size) with the double size air bricks. This would mean about nearly half the air bricks would be double size but the rest (which he said don't need to be changed) would be the original single size.

Is this a problem?

Would a surveyor flag this up?

Do I need planning permission?

Will it affect the value of the house?

Sponsored Links
You need to clarify what "ventilation issue" you are trying to address, as its no good just making bigger holes in the wall to let more cold air in, without some proper assessment or understanding of what you are trying to achieve.

Forgive me woody, but the "ventilation issue" is not what I require information about at this stage.

The issue I wish the answers to are in the original post and would still appreciate and answer.

many thanks

Woods will still need an answer to his question before being able to give a useful answer to your first two questions, the other two are a no.

Sponsored Links
Well that is a start, so thanks Deluks for answering the last two questions.

With regards to the 2nd question, I am asking if a surveyor would see this as a cosmetic issue of non-concern or would he/she flag it up as "unusual" and therefore require more information about why it was done. You can understand that what a surveyor reports is of utmost importance to a potential buyer, hence the reason why I would like to know the answer to this question.

I am asking if a surveyor would see this as a cosmetic issue of non-concern or would he/she flag it up as "unusual" and therefore require more information about why it was done.

Well I am a surveyor and that is why I asked the question.

If I saw loads of retrospectively fitted air bricks dotted around a property then I would certainly want to know why, as in normal circumstances it would be a complete waste of time

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back