Difficulty changing taps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to change some taps to a bath in my current property but having severe difficulty.

Whoever installed it (not me!!!) put it right up against the wall on the taps side and its a real pain to losen the hot tap pipe connector nut (can do the cold tap pipe nut) which is beyond the cold pipe.

I can't seem to get the leverage - I've tried with standard basin type wrenches, normal wrenches and stilson type ones with no joy.

Has anyone had any experience of this and suggestions on which tool will work ?

I've just seen an extendable wrench (at screwfx) so am considering trying that but there are two types - a 11" one which I don't think will be long enough but it does have small jaws which will help and a much longer one but I'm concerned the jaws are too big.

Thanks for any help in advance!

Sponsored Links
Who said changing taps was easy!

You can usually do it with a solid basin wrench with a long adjustable on the bottom.

Its often necessary to use two "locked" together in the middle to extend the length.

You can usually lock them in place and then wrap tape around them to get them to stay together.

If everything else fails a professional sometimes has to resort to removing the bath or grind the tap away from the top!

Tony

I had expected you had already tried one of those.

They are not long enough and they dont usually grip tight enough.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Tony,

Cheers. I hadn't tried the extendable one and now I'm not sure I'll bother. I'll try the double basin wrench and see if that yields any results.

The picture I displayed below was around £5 and 11", they also had one that was £22 and larger/more sturdy.

You can usually get a pair of grips on the nut, but then don't have enough room to get leverage on the nut, try holding the nut with a pair of grips (assuming you can) then try moving the tap rather than the nut with another pair of grips if necessary, usually works for me.:cool: As long as its not a deck mixer :LOL: :LOL:

If all else fails....cut the pipe near the tap with a pipe slice, and undo the nut using a deep drive socket complete with 1/2" square drive extension and ratchet - and remake the pipe connection lower down.

I really wanted to avoid cutting pipes and remaking them as its really confined area and I don't have the confidence to do that!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back