Digging up the floor again - not

BW2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not strictly an electrics question, but …

I’m putting a new permanent floor down, but I know from past experience that I’m going to want to add new services somewhere in the room later on.

ie say …

– an aerial socket for putting the TV in a different place
– a computer networking cable
– a telephone, or broadband connection
– some new technology coming out in the next few years that I don't know about yet
– etc

I know in offices they sometimes set up ducts or plastic tubes in advance, and when you want to run new cabling from A to B you just pull your cables through the tube, rather than reaching for the pneumatic drill.

Anyone know of a (cheap) system like this for domestic wiring ?
Or another way of doing it ?

Regards

BW2

Sponsored Links
Suspended wood floor with lovely solid oak T&G boarding as the top layer.

Sponsored Links
For data/telephone/TV i'd just run conduit in the wall straight up to the loft then you can change exactly what cables are pulled down the conduits to each position fairly easilly. blanked off double boxes with a couple of 25mm conduits up the wall should cover almost anything you are likely to want to pull down and terminate.

for mains i'd just wire in the conventional way and make sure you fit plenty of sockets.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back