Dimmable bedside light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys,

I'd like to turn a normal bedside light with an inline rocker into a dimmable light... would you:

a. Buy an inline dimmer, cut the existing out out and fit the new one - thinking this is about the same as wiring a plug.

b. Get some fancy tech solution like philips hew or whatever?

c. Give up and get a touch light?

I like the sound of a. are such things reliable?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Oh I know they exist, I have already googled that (but thanks). I was more enquiring as to whether these were seen as a good solution, safe products or just rubbish... hence asking if the other solutions were worth considering... I've used normal rocker switches but never inline dimmers, didn't know if they were good or not

Are they good?

Let's hope they are better than my eyes, 'cos they looked at "I like the sound of a. are such things reliable?" but then informed my brain that what was there was "I like the sound of a. are such things available?"

Hence my reply. Sorry. :oops::(

I guess like any electrical accessory there will be the good, the bad, and the ugly.

And as with buying any other electrical products, try to avoid the second two categories by going for known makes and sellers (from EU companies with a real physical presence in the EU), and eschewing anything sold direct from China, or by sellers clearly fronting a direct-from-china operation, or bought purely on price from eBay/Amazon/etc.

Sponsored Links
Are they good?

Let's hope they are better than my eyes, 'cos they looked at "I like the sound of a. are such things reliable?" but then informed my brain that what was there was "I like the sound of a. are such things available?"

Hence my reply. Sorry. :oops::(

I guess like any electrical accessory there will be the good, the bad, and the ugly.

And as with buying any other electrical products, try to avoid the second two categories by going for known makes and sellers (from EU companies with a real physical presence in the EU), and eschewing anything sold direct from China, or by sellers clearly fronting a direct-from-china operation, or bought purely on price from eBay/Amazon/etc.

Ha ha, fair enough mate. I do try not to be *that* person lol. Yeah I figured as much that I should try to get a decent one. I'm guessing the fitting will be as trivial as I think? - Slice out the old one, put in new one, bit like wiring a plug...

I did see these, but thought if its plugged in behind a bedside table it means it's quite a 'fixed' dimmer

Who said anything about behind the table? I have a trailing socket on top of my bedside cabinet and the adjustable dimmer is plugged in to that. I arranged that as close as possible and (mainly by chance) this and the rocker switch of my light are at almost the same height. So when I find the rocker switch the dimmer is only a couple of inches away.

Nice plan, I like that, I know someone who wouldn't thou!

2 or 3 core, not got new lamps yet, some spotted at M&S. I would assume most new stuff is 3 no?

On a side note, some page I read said even when an inline dimmer is off the circuit is still live... I'm not that clued up on electrical stuff but that didn't sound ideal.

Pants over the light at this rate (yeah, that didn't go down well either lol)

2 or 3 core, not got new lamps yet, some spotted at M&S. I would assume most new stuff is 3 no?
If I had to guess, I'd say no, most new stuff is double insulated.

It is of great relevance, as some inline switches make no provision to carry an earth conductor through.

On a side note, some page I read said even when an inline dimmer is off the circuit is still live... I'm not that clued up on electrical stuff but that didn't sound ideal.
As long as it has a switch at the end of its travel it will be off. If not, then it may still technically be "live", but at such a low voltage it won't matter. Do you plan on jamming fingers or other body parts into an empty lampholder when you think it is off?

Pants over the light at this rate (yeah, that didn't go down well either lol)
Oh lord - you didn't suggest using ones from your old private trophy collection, did you? :mrgreen:

Thanks, I'll bear that in mind when we do get the new lamps.

I certainly don't intend to put any body parts near the lamp holder! Incidentally, my poor mum did this many years ago as a small child, so this lesson has been drummed into me years ago!

Oh and pants, a bit of a fib there for comic effect, truth be told it was one of her summer scarfs! Would have cut the light out entirety with my pants!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back