Uplighter dimmable energy saving bulb wont fit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have recently bought a uplighter of which the light bulb is on a dimmer. The problem is all the energy saving dimmable bulbs are too big and wont fit. Is there any bulb holder I can buy to get around the problem, or any other solution.

Thanks in advance

Steve

Sponsored Links
energy saving lamps don't work the same way as filament light bulbs or tungsten halogen tubes. They won't work in an ordinary downlighter if it has a dimmer not designed for energy saving lamps.

you could look for a downlighter designed to dim CFLs, I don't suppose it will be cheap. Another method is to buy several lamps, and turn one or more off when you want less light.

Sponsored Links
they don't work in an ordinary dimmable uplighter either

They won't work in an ordinary downlighter if it has a dimmer not designed for energy saving lamps.

The CFL should be designed to be dimmed by an ordinary dimmer not the other way round....

"should be" :rolleyes:

they work a different way

how much extra are you willing to pay for an extra dimming circuit to be built into the CFL?

that's between £7.87 and £10.92 each more than I paid for ordinary CFLs yesterday

Hi,

Thanks for all the replies. I dont think I made myself clear ( typical for me! ). The uplighter is a room ceiling light. The energy saving bulb I have is made for a dimmer. The link to it is provided below.

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Lig...+Dimmable+Spiral+T3+20w+BC/d220/sd3223/p24782

The bulb's in the link you provided are too big as they are also 120ish mm in length. I think this is roughly 15mm too big for the uplighter. I either need to find a smaller dimmable energy saving bulb or work out how to fit the existing bulb in the downlighter.

Thanks in advance.

Steve :D

I dont think I made myself clear
Are you now? ;)

The uplighter is a room ceiling light.
So does the light shine upwards from it, i.e. as in uplighter? :D

I either need to find a smaller dimmable energy saving bulb or work out how to fit the existing bulb in the downlighter.
So it's a downlighter now, i.e. where the light shines down from it? :LOL:

Your best bet is to stop f*rting around with dimmable CFLs, which are cumbersome and tricky to match with dimmers, and install something like this: http://www.qwikfast.co.uk/catalogue/high-frequency-electronic-downlight-p-5016.html and replace the control gear with a dimmable one.

Its alright Steve....

I could see from JohnD's reply that he was confused.

You will struggle to find a smaller dimmable CFL for your fitting....there is a company called 'feelux' that may produce a slightly smaller dimmable CFL but I don't know the full spec...

By the way...if it is an uplighter, can't you just position it a little higher so that you don't see the tip of the lamp?

Cheers.

BAS.....'cumbersome'...maybe..but that sylvania lamp will work with ANY dimmer....the only problem maybe an underloading issue with a single lamp... :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back