Dimmed Lights Flickering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've read the topic below called "Dimmer Woes" but my case is a bit different so thought it warranted a new thread.

I installed a new dimmer switch and light a couple of weeks ago and all was fine.

However, I've got home from work today and all the bulbs in this new light flicker unless the dimmer is turned up full. It also appears ok when the dimmer is right down low but maybe I just can't notice the flicker.

The light has 5 x 40w screw-in "golf ball" bulbs - exactly as recommended and the dimmer wasn't exactly cheap (cost about £15).

I've Googled the issue and guess the dimmer is the likely issue but before I try and replace it I thought I see if I could get some specific advice.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Assuming you've ascertained that all connections on the back of the dimmer are secure, I'd offer good odds on it being a fault with the dimmer, as you've already identified. Replace it with the normal switch that you must have removed when the dimmer was fitted to allow you to confirm.

Sponsored Links
Not sure that'll tell me anything though as the lights don't flicker when turned right up.

It was another dimmer beforehand which I had no problem with (although that was with a different light too).

Have checked the connections in the dimmer and they're good. Think I'll try getting a new dimmer today and see if that helps.

I've replaced the dimmer with a basic white dimmer from Homebase (£9.99) and it works perfectly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back