Dimmer on a 2 way switch!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly i have a 2 way switch in the hall, the main door has 2 live(Red) and 2 switched live (Black/Red) going in to the socket, Wire A has S/L & L going into the top of switch and Wire B has S/L in L1 and L in L2, at the other end i have one wire with L in the 1 way and a S/L in the 2 way it also has a slimmer red wire with grey coating in the Common! My dimmer comes with 3 connections 1 a curve with an arrow going through it, a L2 and a L1 what goes where?
And could i replace both ends with a dimmer?

Sponsored Links
You have a 2 gang switch by the main door??

If your dimmer is a single gang, it only go at the single gang end (the one with the single red with a grey sheath.

Put the single red with grey sheath into the com on the dimmer (the squiggle). Put the other red and black into L1 and L2 (either way around).

You didnt mention a link in the 2gang switch by the main door? There should be a link wire from com to com??

One on Main door coming into house which is the 2 gang and on at the other end of hall by the living room door!It's a Single Dimmer 250 watt 2 way!
I know this is what puzzles me?
I have just wired a new light in the Kitchen and it had this grey wire leading to another two way at the bottom of my stairs!

Seems to use the lighting like a junction box!

Ok, try as i said above:

Put the single red with grey sheath into the com on the dimmer (the squiggle). Put the other red and black into L1 and L2 (either way around).

I am confident that will work. If not, let us know!

Sponsored Links
Sorry did work! Dimmer was on lowest setting!!!
Cheers!
Could i not put a dimmer on the other side now?

You can only dim from one location with standard dimmers.

Do you want to dim the 'other' switch on the 2gang plate, or do you mean dimming the same light from two locations??

Using the other Switch at main door which is a Single Switch so same light two dimmers work on this?
My house is a right mess i'm doing the same in Kitchen and i
have a single switch at one end with Wire A S/L in common and Live in a connector block, Wire B S/l in 2way and L in 1 way I want to fit dimmer to this. At the other end it get's interesting!
2 switch
Wire A S/L in B1 L in B2
Wire B L in A the looped to B, Black in connector
Wire C L in A1, Black in connector

A1|A2|B
A |B1|B2

New Switch is

1 Way| COM | COM | 1 Way
2 Way|2 Way

I've not tried to decipher your wiring description but...
Fudgie73 said:
Using the other Switch at main door which is a Single Switch so same light two dimmers work on this?
Lectrician said:
You can only dim from one location with standard dimmers.
So that'll be "no", then...

I've done my best to decipher this little lot, I really have, but particle accelerators are easier to understand. I give up. If you can't give us more accurate information I'm afraid you're on your own!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back