Dimmer problems with R7 lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hopefully someone can help me decide whether to persevere, or is it time for an electrician?

I have two new R7 bulb wall lights for the bedroom. I have spurred off a double socket with a FCU and changed the 13A fuse for a 5A one. I have then run cable from the FCU 'through' a dimmer to the light. All connections are live to live to live, etc.

When I switch on the FCU the lights come on. However, when I try to dim the lights it blows the dimmer and either fuses the FCU or just 'pops' and then stays on, i.e. the dimmer doesn't work and also won't switch off the light.

Are these lights not dimmable with a standard Homebase dimmer, or have I done something wrong somewhere else?

Thanks for any guidance

Sponsored Links
sounds like you have wired the dimmer across the live and neutral. it should only be connected so it "breaks" the live.

Yes I have. So I should take the feed live into the 'live' of the dimmer and then take the live for the lamp and connect to the dimmer 'out' or neutral. Do I just then connect the two neutrals in a connection box/plastic connector within the socket box?

to the dimmer "out"

and yes both neutrals should be in the same choc block within the patress

Sponsored Links
Thanks - I'll rewire it. Chances are the dimmers have blown haven't they? What's likely to happen if I try them wired properly? If nothing happens, get new dimmers?

depends on the dimmer - some will just refuse to light, some will light fully on only. Creating a dead short across a dimmer - nasty.

Chances are it's gone to that great wholesaler in the sky. Even if a lamp fails, it can toast dimmers. But test it before you chuck it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back