Dimmer switch for low voltage lights

cjb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, wonder if anyone can help me.

We've been left in the lurch a bit with some electrics and I need some advice.

Basically, we've got a kitchen diner, and we've had 6 low voltage downlights fitted in the kitchen bit and 8 low voltage downlights fitted in the diner bit. They're on a double dimmer switch.

The 6 lights work ok, but the problem is with the 8 lights - they go on okay and then switch off after a while. They then go back on again for a while, then off again, etc. etc.

The lights are on individual transformers - the lights each say on them 12volt 50 watt.

We've been told that probably there is too much wattage going through the double dimmer on the 8 light one.

It's a long story, and we're not going to mess around with electrics ourselves, but basically, my question is: what can we have done to to fix the problem? I don't want to remove two of the lights unless absolutely necessary.... Is it possible to get a double dimmer switch that can take higher wattage? or will it help to have the 8 and the 6 lights on individual dimmers rather than a double? Unfortunately, the way the kitchen has now been fitted doesn't leave room for individual dimmer plates to sit side by side - if we were to have individual dimmers they'd now have to be vertical rather than horizontal - would that matter?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

many thanks.

Sponsored Links
if they all go off / on at the same time it does sound like the dimmer, what rating is your dimmer?

hi - I think it's 400 watt, but I'm guessing.
It's all a bit of a pigs ear really - we originally had mains downlights from B&Q installed, so I got a double dimmer that would work with that... the lights themselves were a bit ropey so the electrician suggested low voltage lights on individual transformers which he then fitted.

I don't think the dimmer switch was changed - it may still be the one for mains lights - I don't know how to tell.

We were'nt very happy with the stuff the eletrician did in general, hence not being able to get him back to fix stuff.

Probably doesn't answer your question does it?!!!

fraid not, but if you turn off the mains and undo the dimmer switch front plate you should be able to see behind it and its rating

Sponsored Links
cjb said:
hi - I think it's 400 watt, but I'm guessing.
It's all a bit of a pigs ear really - we originally had mains downlights from B&Q installed, so I got a double dimmer that would work with that... the lights themselves were a bit ropey so the electrician suggested low voltage lights on individual transformers which he then fitted.

I don't think the dimmer switch was changed - it may still be the one for mains lights - I don't know how to tell.

We were'nt very happy with the stuff the eletrician did in general, hence not being able to get him back to fix stuff.

Probably doesn't answer your question does it?!!!

Didnt say if they all went off and on together ?. If they intermittant go off suggest you check the transformers are clear of insulation and far away from lamp as able. If all go off together sounds like underated dimmer. Do as breezer says and check dimmer rating you need 2 x 400w or reduce the lamp wattage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back