Dimmer switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my electrician has put in new recessed spots with one dimmer switch on one side of the room and a standard switch on the other side. If you turn the lights off at the dimmer switch and then turn them back on from the standard switch , the lights will only come on if when the dimmer switch was switched off with the lights on. If they had been dimmed and then switched off at the dimmer, when you switch them back on at the standard switch they do not come on . Is there something wrong with this - any ideas how to fix ??

Thanks !

Sponsored Links
No, this is fairly standard with a dimmer. Although, not all dimmers actually turn off the lights at their lowest setting, some do not.

Either you make sure you leave the dimmer at a setting where the lights will come on, or fit a dimmer that does not switch off the lights on its lowest setting or you fit a master slave set-up that allows a dimmer at both locations.

Welcome Moody.

Yes, as stated above this is normal, you can't have more than one normal dimmer switch controlling the light level of a single lamp.

But, I'm not 100% sure I understand your question. It might be me but could you read it back and try to explain again. Can you confirm that the dimmer is a push on / push off type (not a turn it down until it clicks)?

Hi, yes there is only one DIMMABLE switch and you have to push it in to switch the light out. The switch on the other side of the room is a normal non DIMMABLE switch. My question was should I have to put the DIMMABLE switch up to full power and then click it so that if I put the lights back on from the standard switch the lights will come on. At the moment if from the DIMMABLE switch I turn the lights off with them dimmed right down, then go over and switch the lights back on from the standard switch they will just flash and not come on.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back