Dimmer switches any good?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I am in the process of deciding on some dimmer switches. They need to have four dimmer controls available.

I am thinking about getting the Luton Rania 4-gang 250VA Light dimmers. They look really good and retail around £178.

Is this my best option or are they any others you would recommend?

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
It all depends on what you are dimming. One of the problems is the demise of the tungsten lamp and with discharge lighting there are two ways of dimming.
1) A dimmer matched to the lamp.
2) A dimming lamp that just needs a standard switch.
The matching of dimmer to lamp means you needs to buy as a set lamps and dimmer. And there can be so many problems where they don't match and the lamp becomes like a strobe light I would always buy as a set so if it does not work you have no problem in working out who's fault it is.

I have nearly removed all dimmers now. Just one left in office. And that will get changed soon.

Let us know the type of lamps (and wattages) you want to dim and we will steer you gently in the right direction..... :)

Hi All

Thanks for your replies so far.

The lights I will be using are recessed halogen spotlights and some hanging lights(chandeliers).

I have not looked into wattage etc.

Sponsored Links
The lights I will be using are recessed halogen spotlights and some hanging lights(chandeliers).

I have not looked into wattage etc.

Well, we will need A LOT more information than that.

eg
What sort of halogen spotlights?
ARe they low voltage or extra low voltage?
If ELV then what type of transformer do they have?
Is the transformer suitable for dimming?
Does it require phase delay (leading edge) or phase cut (trailing edge) type of dimmers?
What is the load in watts for each dimmer?
Are any of the circuits two way (ie with more than one switch controlling the light(s))?

There's more, but let us start with the basic stuff...

Ok here I go I hope this enough info!

There are a combination of different types of lights used.
chandelier, alcove lights, spotlights and pendant.

Example below:
• Medium beam (around 10°) uplight. Bulb using 20w, 12v halogen/

20w, 12v with wide beams.

Other spotlights are to be 50w, 12v

240v ropelights

Narrow beam, 35w, 12v with honeycomb louvres

pendant lights

None of the circuits are two way.

For the dimmers: Dual, multi-way digital dimmer, frameless version for square backboxes. For 220 - 240 V and low voltage loads, Max. 2 x 250 W/VA, Min. 2 x 50 W/VA

Let me know if you need any other infornation.

Thanks again

lets simplify this...

You have 4 circuits to dim.

Look at what TTC has posted, then relate that to each individual circuit.

:)

I was going to harp on about how ineficient dimming is, and how inefficient halogen lamps are, but then I realised the OP is spending £200 on a dimmer. So decided he probably wouldnt care.

If you're going to spend a fortune a dimmers, it would be better to get one that has scene memories. The Lutron Rania is just four single channel dimmers in one housing.

The Futronix P400 is good (but it's almost £400) as is the Lutron Grafik Eye 3000 series (even more money but available in 2, 3, 4 and 6 channel versions)

If the OP gets back to us...my intention is to show him that he can get a viable alternative for a tenth of the price.... :LOL:

Johnny Kc

I need to purchase by dimmers asap I would appreciate your help! Especially if you have a viable alternative.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back