Dimplex Duo Heater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i am having some issues with this heater its a 500i

Moved into house last year with already installed and put heater on
it made a loud clicking noise and red led's flash.

i have changed the thermostats but the leds still flash

also the off peak socket gets really hot - i have checked inside and no scorching etc. its a 20amp dp switch (mk)

the peak power supply also sparks when switching on? its run into a 13amp normal socket?

do i need to change this? could this be why the off peak also gets very hot?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Good grief!

I hate these heaters as they are poorly designed, the various expensive circuit boards and their brittle plastic mountings fail often.

The installation instructions state the peak supply is not to be connected to a socket circuit, it should have it's own supply. This is usually needed in order to connect the 4th wire back to the optional remote programmer.

The items getting hot shouldn't be and will need to be replaced. I would advise calling an electrician to correct any wiring problems and to correctly identify any faults within the heater. The parts are expensive so it is important any faulty part is confirmed before buying a replacement.

thanks for your reply.

Im wondering if its worth getting another heater and dumping this one?

Just to confirm the off peak has its own circuit/supply (can turn off from fuse box)

and also the peak should have its own supply?
as ita been drilled through wall straight into back of a 13amp socket

once again thanks for reply

Also have you any recommendations on some storage heaters?
we have one of these and a very old unidare heater which i think has had it and looks horrible lol

Sponsored Links
Yes the manufacturers specify in the Duoheat installation manual that both the peak supply and the off peak supply are to each have their own designated circuits.

We use Dimplex (the non Duoheat version) all the time, they are available as standard off peak only nightstore heaters, as well as versions with a built in convector heater that will work during the day on the peak supply. These are simple with no electronic circuit boards, which means they will last many years, and any spare parts that are needed during its lifetime are easy to get and install. The newer Unidare heaters are just a budget version of the Dimplex heaters and are made in the same factory. They work OK if you are on a tight budget but look less decorative than the Dimplex versions and often have more basic temperature control. I would be happy to fit both Dimplex and Unidare.

The Duoheat system is more suited to a property with these fitted in every room and controlled with the matching central timeclock. If I was in your shoes as you only have one of these, I would replace it with a non Duoheat heater (and possibly the other one at the same time if it is old and looks tatty so that they both match). If you are likely to need a heat boost during the day get the version with a built in convector heater and get an electrician to wire in a new circuit for it. The convector is useful when the weather isn't cold enough to require putting the storage heaters on, but cold enough that a bit of quick heat is needed.

thanks for your info
a friend of mine has recommended elnur and creda storage heaters? what are your thoughts on these?
thanks

Creda are part of Dimplex I've never installed / repaired an Elnur so I can't comment. They are quite a bit cheaper in price, this may be reflected in the quality. See here for general information. It's still Dimplex for me all the way.

Elnur heaters are much quicker to install, as they don't have a separate mounting bracket - screws go straight through the back of the heater into the wall.
The feet snap into place, no screws. The elements are all on flexible wires so no need to disconnect one to get the bricks in or slide bricks behind the remaining elements either.

Functionally they are the same as any other storage heater.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back