Dimplex Oakhurst -no smoke then lamps go out and five beeps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an Oakhurst optimyst fire which has been fantastic but just out of the warranty period it just shut down as if the water tank had run out. After checking the water I switched it on again it just turned itself off after twenty seconds.
Have replaced the transducer disc and then the transducer itself with no luck- as before at the lamps come on but after twenty or so seconds the lamps go out with five beeps - any idea what to try next?
George

Sponsored Links
I have an Oakhurst optimyst fire which has been fantastic but just out of the warranty period it just shut down as if the water tank had run out.

Is this the manufacturers warranty of 1 year? That is in addition to your statuary rights. The Sale of Goods Act gives you protection (not guarantee) for 6 years.

EU legislation gives you a 2 year guarantee though most retailers try to fob you off.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-1677034/Two-year-warranty-EU-law.html

Just wanted to share something I have discovered. We bought a Dimplex Optimyst just over a year ago and came to use it after not using it all summer and it lit up and the heaters came on. Unfortunately the mist didn't start and after 30 secs it clicked and the lights turned off but the heating still worked! After cleaning it all out numerous times, taking everything in and out numerous times it still did the same.
After a few searches on forums, including this one, I decided to buy a new transducer disc as that seemed to be what other people who have experienced this tried and it worked. £10 and a few days later I received a 2p sized disc that fit in the transducer that was in the fire. No luck and it continued to switch on then quickly off again. The next bit of advice was to buy a new transducer which would cost me £50 from a Dimplex spares website!! Or £120 direct from Dimplex!
After doing a bit of research I figured out that the transducer in question is just a mist machine and produces the mist that produces the attractive looking fake fire look. The lights are separate and so is the heater. For some reason I had the idea that the lights heated the water and this produced the mist and the transducer that everyone spoke about was something vital to the electrics of the machine. This is not to be.
I searched eBay UK and found a small water mist transducer from Hong Kong £5.75 with free shipping. 10 days later I am in receipt of said water mist maker and have placed in the fire. Unfortunately it doesn't fit in the same designated area that the original one did but I still put it in the same tray, attached the connector and voilà IT WORKS!! It has been on for a good hour with no problems. Hope this helps some people as I thought this was going to be a very expensive problem.
I will definitely remember to take the water out of the trays this summer though so this one doesn't get water logged whilst not in use.

I have a Dimplex Moorfield MFD20 Opti Myst unit, purchased November 2013, £549.99, biggest waste of money I have ever spent. Up to this date I have replaced two fans and two power units plus numerous transducers. I have probably spend upwards of £500 keeping the unit working. I would recommend you keep away from the Dimplex Opti Myst units.

Sponsored Links
When I had the problem of getting a clicking noise from the transducer and the lights go off and on, it needed a new power unit.

5 beeps i found was overcurrent, cheap chinese copy transducer stamped at 650ma was drawing 750 and crawled with heat to 780 at which point the PCB trips it as faulty. BUY GENUINE.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back