Dimplex Opti-Myst fires

Dimplex fire not misting.
Maybe transducer problem. How much water should it spray. I videoed it but can’t upload that can I? Does this look right? Seems to have a scratch in the centre of the disc....
You should be able to see if the transducer is working by removing the false log cover, removing the reservoir water tank and turning the fire on. *Warning* Before turning fire on, make sure the sump is full of water *

After 30 seconds or so the transducer should kick in and the water can be seen to bubble in the sump where the transducer sits. If there is no bubbling the transducer isn't working. Check to make sure the connection to the transducer is good and secure.

If still no luck, you can replace the transducer disc, but personally I'd replace the entire transducer unit.

If the water is bubbling, check the fan by removing the front metal grill at the bottom front of the fire (4 screws), remove the filter and check to see if the fan is running free and easy.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Grenjs.
The fan is working, the transducer is working... but wasn't sure if it was working correctly. It's spitting water but i don't know if it should be making a finer mist.

A still from video...
597DDAE8-5058-425D-8A69-BF846B737F2B.jpeg

Last edited:
Further to this...
I bought transducer discs off Amazon for a tenner and it now works perfectly again.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B081R1K3GF/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

View attachment 180026

Yes, I've just received one described as 'Ultrasonic Mist Maker Fogger Machine Water Fountain Pond Atomizer Air Diffuser' on ebay for £5.89. The plug is too tight, the cable is over long and the unit is too big to sit in the 'cup holder' in the bottom of the reservoir, but it works perfectly. The Amazon price for the Dimplex Optimyst transducer is £49.50, so I'll happily change the plug on the one I've just bought and trim the cable down while I'm at it.

If you've really got money to burn, buy it from luxury fire maker Chesneys, who will sell you the same spare at a special price below. https://chesneys.co.uk/product/stove-spares/transducer

Now that's what I call a mark-up!

Screen Shot 2020-01-04 at 16.11.00.png

Sponsored Links
Hi everyone my first post. Need some advice. I have the old blue water tank optimist unit with the single transducer. It stopped making smoke. Lights come on and fan is running but transducer just bubbles. The original disc which has started to rust or get black marks on seems to be metal. I had a new disc, ceramic, which I fitted, but still the same only bubbles. Is the disc the problem and can I buy the proper disc anywhere?

Hi me again has anyone successfully replaced the disc in the old dimplex optimist fire with the blue tank? Would like information on where to source disc if possible

You can buy them on Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/SPARES2GO-...ocphy=1006826&hvtargid=pla-422172128384&psc=1

I have only removed, cleaned and replaced the disks (not swapped), but here's how:

Our Dimplex has packed up again, and this time it's not the transducer, which means it's developed a second fault within a month of the first. Having taken it apart, I can say it's mainly just a collection of cheap OEM components and should never have made it out of R&D IMO.

Hi simon, thank you for your reply. I have bought the new ceramic discs but they do not produce mist, they bubble away but no smoke. I do not think that they are the same frequency as the original disc. The original disc which came with the sump in 2012 is all metal not ceramic.

Dimplex Danville
Mist was being generated but no mist visible through logs
Fan was faultsy
New fan fitted
Easy to change remove log and other removable components
Disconnect transducer connector
Unscrew fan housing (RHS)
Lift fan from housing and disconnect 2way connector
Replace in reverse.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi simon, thank you for your reply. I have bought the new ceramic discs but they do not produce mist, they bubble away but no smoke. I do not think that they are the same frequency as the original disc. The original disc which came with the sump in 2012 is all metal not ceramic.

Hi John

Did you have any luck fixing yours?

Mine seems to have a similar issue (old style with the blue water tank). It switches on fine and the heater works but the flame effect isn't working. I've fitted a new ceramic disc from eBay in it, but I'm not sure if this is correct for the blue water tank ones.

Also I've noticed the water in the sump isn't heating up at all and no bubbling is being produced by the transducer. But presently I only have two bulbs working and ones an LED, so I'm not sure if the transducer has an automatic cut off if the bulbs aren't working? I've ordered some new bulbs off eBay, once they arrive next week I'll give it another go, but I'm pretty sure this won't help.

Shame AlisterE isn't still around as he was definitely the font of all knowledge when it came to these things!

Last edited:
Hi yes I did fix it. I eventually bought a complete new sump on line for £149. Not from Dimplex as they charge over £200. I looked up how long the old one had lasted and it was seven years, so I suppose I can’t complain. The lights are 50watt and need to get hot to make the mist rise but I have read here that some people have replaced them with 35watt successfully. I also removed the fan filter and tore off the white part which was clogged and put the black sponge bit back by itself and the flame is much stronger with more air flow through the fan. The ceramic discs do not work in the old transducer I have tried them and I was unable to source the correct disc anywhere. I hope that this is helpful if you want details of where I got the new sump please let me know.

Hi yes I did fix it. I eventually bought a complete new sump on line for £149. Not from Dimplex as they charge over £200. I looked up how long the old one had lasted and it was seven years, so I suppose I can’t complain. The lights are 50watt and need to get hot to make the mist rise but I have read here that some people have replaced them with 35watt successfully. I also removed the fan filter and tore off the white part which was clogged and put the black sponge bit back by itself and the flame is much stronger with more air flow through the fan. The ceramic discs do not work in the old transducer I have tried them and I was unable to source the correct disc anywhere. I hope that this is helpful if you want details of where I got the new sump please let me know.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes that'd be great if you could give me the details of the place you got it?

Did you get a new disc complete with it? Also what does the disc look like? Is it a white ceramic one like the ones you can purchase online, or is it a metallic one?

Here's the two side by side. My original one on the left (which I think has had it) and a newly purchased ceramic one on the right).

Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200301-094017.png
    Screenshot_20200301-094017.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 546
Hi it’s on line called electric spares.com. Phone number is 01823 412100 email: [email protected]. You get the whole unit including disc fitted. Just insert into fire and plug in. The item is number OM09030 small sump with transducer £147.25 plus £4.95 shipping arrived in a couple of days. The ceramic disc does not work in these units, I have tried it. The disc is all metal. Best regards John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back