Dimplex Opti-Myst fires

Ok thanks mate
Big difference in price for the transducer :) but I'll check the size
I'll also test the power supply for shorts etc

Sponsored Links
Send us a pm mate on badcaps please I can't on here and can't find you on badcaps lol :)

AlistairE
We have a dimplex optimist cassington old type, grey sump, blue water bottle.
Everything is working ok except we have no lights to enable the mist to rise.
The mister is ok, the heating is ok, the other lights just glow as if the unit is out of water but the sump and bottle are full. I have checked the bulbs individually elsewhere and they are all working.
The sump fan is working....just have no lights!
HELP PLEASE

Sponsored Links
No Halogen Lamp function is often the lamp sockets. I have had all 4 fail, not at same time--but within a few weeks of each other--That was in a woodburner style too, but not the cassington..

In some cases, the woodburner style can become damp inside--especially if a few lamps are already not working, leading to poor bulb/holder contacts that speeds up the rot-out times, as they can tarnish and corrode at the contacts...

Advise use of 30W (or therabouts) lamps instead of 50W, the sockets last better as less peak temps, the small drop in light is not at all noticable, and the effect is unchanged with regards smoke/flame.

Sometimes, the joint between the socket wires and the two thick leads from the 12V 250/300W toroidal transformer in the back of the fire can fail leading to int/no lights from halogens....

Took the back off the fire and found two thick red cables connected to two other cables using the correct connector but it had melted and was all black! Replaced the connector and it’s all working, thanks AlistairE.
62A04E87-9456-4D64-AE96-78473CF96249.jpeg

Did you cut the cables back to where the insulation and sheathing was soft (not just no longer discoloured), and the copper nice and bright? Because if not it could easily happen again.

And what are the cables? Why are they joined like that? Where was the connector? What was it enclosed in? How do you know it's the correct type?

Yes, cut it well back. It was in the back of the fire. Take the screws out and it hinges up. This fire was bought new so it must be the correct connector but this time I’ve put 30amp ones in.

The one you have did not fail because it was not rated for the current it carries.

Last edited:
Hi all.
I have a Dimplex Auberry electric fire, less than 3 years old. Today it is cutting out after about 5 seconds. There is no mist being produced. (the heat is working and stays on, but just no lights or mist).
I have checked inside the fire, and one of the lamps is out (swapping one of the other bulbs into that space, it does come on so it is literally just a blown bulb) so I don't think this is the problem. The transducer looks clean with no build up (we live in a soft water area). However, I have followed the Dimplex troubleshooting guide and it says to insert the little cleaning brush into the sump fan outlet and you should be able to feel a vibration and hear a noise, but I can't feel any vibration/noise, and when I look into the air outlet on the opening of the sump fan, I can just see a tiny turbine that does not appear to be spinning at all.
Would this cause the problem? Do you think it is worth ordering a new sump fan motor?
Many thanks for any help!
Louise

Solved...

Hi,
My optimist fire (grey sump orange bottle) packed up last year. I read this forum up to the latter pages and never really found a cheap solution to resolve the shutting down after a few seconds issue other than an £80 official transducer.

Somebody had posted that a new transducer will work and that these could be bought off eBay for £10-20 vs £80 that dimplex charge but not many others had shared this resolution as in most cases people tend to not share once they have resolved. So although cheap I was hesitant to try the eBay versions.

This week I bought this from eBay and I now have a working fogger with 2 spare ceramic discs for under £15 (cheaper if your prepared to wait from China)
I had to cut/break off some of the sump plastic retaining ring to get it to sit flush but my units way out of warranty anyway and this was the closest like for like I could find in terms of fogging capability.. Thell be one correct somewhere.

I cannot believe people are having to pay £80 for these, Dimplex are terrible.

Link to eBay and best of luck.

Ultrasonic Mist Maker Fogger Shineus DC 24V Air Humidifier Water Fountain Pond https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/283004098465

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back