Directional Tyres

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Son had puncture yesterday. The car has got directional tyres.

Breakdown company came to fit the spare, which is the same brand.

Of course, depending on which wheel has the flat, there is a 50% chance it will be rotating in the wrong direction once fitted.

In this case, the spare is now on the O/S/F and rotating in the wrong direction.

The breakdown guy said this was dangerous and the car should not be driven until it is sorted.

He also said that directional tyres should not be used as spares.

What if you then went on to have an accident and the insurance company refused to cover you because the tyre was incorrectly fitted?

I've never thought about this issue before. What's your take on it?

Sponsored Links
The breakdown guy said this was dangerous and the car should not be driven until it is sorted.

He also said that directional tyres should not be used as spares.

What if you then went on to have an accident and the insurance company refused to cover you because the tyre was incorrectly fitted?

Agree.

Agree.

I'd expect so.

Nothing wrong with it as a spare if it used to get to you to a place of safety or repaired/replaced.

Using it long term is the issue. There will be a date/time on the breakdown paperwork which could be used if needed.

If it was dangerous. Why did the breakdown people fit the wheel and not take the car to a tyre fitting place, or place of safety if none open.

Sponsored Links
Why isn't he fitting the spare on his own?
Even I wouldn't change a tyre if I was dressed up, in a dangerous place, or at work etc.

You might be amazed how few people even know how to change a wheel safely.

No spares usually supplied at all now so it's not even expected to be changed

Merit Tyre once fitted my directional/asymmetric run flats the wrong way round and my car failed its MOT a week later as a result. my understanding is they can increase aquaplaning if fitted backwards.

Never known an insurance company check tyres, maybe after a big accident probably.

Last edited:
Merit Tyre once fitted my directional/asymmetric run flats the wrong way round and my car failed its MOT a week later as a result. my understanding is they can increase aquaplaning if fitted backwards.
From the mot testing manual...

Asymmetric tyres are marked with correct fitment information on the sidewall, such as ‘outside’. However, if an asymmetric tyre is fitted the wrong way around it is not to be considered a reason for rejection. The presenter should be advised.

if an asymmetric tyre is fitted the wrong way around it is not to be considered a reason for rejection
The advice to the owner should include a maximum speed until the tyre is fitted / replaced correctly, I recall this advice was given to a friend with a surprising low maximum safe speed.

The advice to the owner should include a maximum speed until the tyre is fitted / replaced correctly, I recall this advice was given to a friend with a surprising low maximum safe speed.
Nothing about that in the manual. Just need (should, but not essential) to advise the presenter.

The mot is just an inspection of the vehicle as it is presented. Up to the presenter to correct or not.

It must have been an advisory then. I'd still expect them to know how to fit the tyre correctly.

Beat me to it, Bernard.

After all, there would be little point in "advising the presenter", unless there was some negative effect from the fitting.

However, if an asymmetric tyre is fitted the wrong way around it is not to be considered a reason for rejection. The presenter should be advised.

Sponsored Links
Back