space saver spare wheels

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I drive a Fiat Punto which came with a bright yellow space saver spare wheel in the boot. One morning, a few months ago, at 6am, i found myself fitting the space saver because i had destroyed a tyre by driving on it flat (didn't realise it was flat until it was too late, of course :confused: ) Fortunately, where i was working at the time, there was a tyre shop over the road so i went over, paid £25 for a new tyre fitted.

If the tyre shop hadn't been there, i would have driven home on the space saver, but no further, since they warn not to drive over 50mph and change them ASAP - emergency use only (ie driving to tyre shops).

Last week, I saw a fellow Punto owner fitting his space saver wheel at the side of the A6195 just outside Barnsley. Now this road is a dual carriageway between the M1 and Wath Upon Dearne (9 miles), limited at 70mph, and you have to drive at least 10 miles to get anywhere useful if you use this road.

I thought this was fair enough - Punto drivers are intelligent:cool: so he would get a new tyre as soon as he could. Anyway, twice again that week, i saw him, still on his space saver, still driving on the 70mph road.

Is this madness??? Or am i overreacting - can one really drive long distances at high speeds in a car on a motorcycle wheel? :confused: And what happened to traditional spare wheels that were actually full-size and one could actually drive decent distances at full speed on them?

Sponsored Links
crafty1289 said:
I drive a Fiat Punto which came with a bright yellow space saver spare wheel in the boot. One morning, a few months ago, at 6am, i found myself fitting the space saver because i had destroyed a tyre by driving on it flat (didn't realise it was flat until it was too late, of course :confused: ) Fortunately, where i was working at the time, there was a tyre shop over the road so i went over, paid £25 for a new tyre fitted.

If the tyre shop hadn't been there, i would have driven home on the space saver, but no further, since they warn not to drive over 50mph and change them ASAP - emergency use only (ie driving to tyre shops).

Last week, I saw a fellow Punto owner fitting his space saver wheel at the side of the A6195 just outside Barnsley. Now this road is a dual carriageway between the M1 and Wath Upon Dearne (9 miles), limited at 70mph, and you have to drive at least 10 miles to get anywhere useful if you use this road.

I thought this was fair enough - Punto drivers are intelligent:cool: so he would get a new tyre as soon as he could. Anyway, twice again that week, i saw him, still on his space saver, still driving on the 70mph road.

Is this madness??? Or am i overreacting - can one really drive long distances at high speeds in a car on a motorcycle wheel? :confused: And what happened to traditional spare wheels that were actually full-size and one could actually drive decent distances at full speed on them?

space saver wheels really **** me off. if you have all tyres the same, you get a flat, change tyre, get tyre repaired and shove it in the boot, as your spare. with these, you have to then change the tyre again

I have heard them referred to as "40/40" wheels, where one number represents the distance you can drive on it, and the other the maximum rated speed. Of course this varies depending on the wheel, but the recommended range is never very far, nor is the speed that great.

I have even seen high-performance cars driving around on space-savers for extended periods... Surely if you enjoy driving enough to splash out on something fast you would understand what a bad idea this is! It probably makes you far more likely to be found liable for any accident you might have afterwards, if they find you are driving on an overused and abused pram-wheel.

What exactly is the point in "space-savers"? There are plenty of cars with 18 and 19" wheels that include a full-sized spare, surely you don't gain appreciable boot-space? The silliest one was with the MG TF. My dad bought an MG TF 160 and the full-size spare wheel was a costed option! I think a can of gunk was the standard, but don't hold me to that. Anyway, according to the manual, you must not use the spare-wheel bay under the front for anything else... so what is the point in NOT having one (other than saving a couple of kg weight)? Needless to say he went for the spare wheel! :LOL:

Now, when checking tyre pressures, how many of you check your spare? ;) I do, but I have only ever seen ONE other person do this. And you always get such sh*tty looks from the people queuing behind you for the pump :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Perhaps they could make space-savers that make a VERY loud noise and vibration above 50mph? And if they wear more than 50-miles worth?

AdamW said:
Now, when checking tyre pressures, how many of you check your spare? ;) I do, but I have only ever seen ONE other person do this. And you always get such sh*tty looks from the people queuing behind you for the pump :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

i dont often check spare tyre pressure, but i do have a tyre compressor in the boot. can in useful many times

Sponsored Links
You can go one step further... I was ogling a Hummer H1 recently and noticed it had some funky pipes around the tyre valves. I looked it up on the net and it turns out you can inflate and deflate the tyres from the driver's seat! Comes in handy when dealing with varying terrain.

So if you are only supposed to drive upto 50 miles on one of these wheels, does that mean that the space saver tyre only has a TOTAL life expectancy of 50 miles.

If so, in the event that you actually use the darned thing, you would then have to replace 2 tyres. (The one that failed AND the space saver). After all, In the event of another failure, your may need that full range again.

If the 50 mile range is "per trip", then what's wrong with using it day in-day out, (assuming your daily commute is less than 50 miles each way). At least until it's more convenient to replace the failed tyre.

Out of curiosity, has anyone ever replaced a space saver tyre. I'd be interested to know what they cost.

AdamW said:
My dad bought an MG TF 160 and the full-size spare wheel was a costed option! I think a can of gunk was the standard, but don't hold me to that

So, you drive along and suddenly realise you have had a flat for the last 5 miles = shredded tyre :oops: . HOW in the name of all things holy, is a can of gunk going to help you? It will go all over the road! And if you are that thick that you went for the cheap gunk option, and even if it does work, chances are, you dont carry a compressor around with you to fill it with air afterwards! How do car manufacturers get away with this? Isn't it a requirement to carry a spare wheel any more?

You guys are lucky to get a spare of any kind. I bought the wife a Kia Picanto recently and found out after purchasing it that it only comes with a can of self inflating tyre weld. Like someone here said "what good is that if the tyre is badly damaged" Give me a proper spare any day.

crafty1289 said:
AdamW said:
My dad bought an MG TF 160 and the full-size spare wheel was a costed option! I think a can of gunk was the standard, but don't hold me to that

So, you drive along and suddenly realise you have had a flat for the last 5 miles = shredded tyre :oops: . HOW in the name of all things holy, is a can of gunk going to help you? It will go all over the road! And if you are that thick that you went for the cheap gunk option, and even if it does work, chances are, you dont carry a compressor around with you to fill it with air afterwards! How do car manufacturers get away with this? Isn't it a requirement to carry a spare wheel any more?

AFAIK, its a legal requirement to carry a spare tyre. unless your registered with a tyre mechanic, then you dont

andrew2022 said:
AFAIK, its a legal requirement to carry a spare tyre. unless your registered with a tyre mechanic, then you dont
I recall having my car fail an MOT as the spare was a tad on the bald side (actually had the steel stuff showing through). I was told, "Now if the spare wasn't there, we could have passed it. It's not law to have one, but if you do, it has to be roadworthy".

TexMex said:
"Now if the spare wasn't there, we could have passed it. It's not law to have one, but if you do, it has to be roadworthy".

I have heard this several times.

Did anything ever come of putting an age limit on tyres as well?

Spark123 said:
Did anything ever come of putting an age limit on tyres as well?
In about 1990, my son bought a set of four second hand mud pluggers for his landy. When we took them around to get them put on his rims, we were told "sorry mate, those were recalled years ago, they had a design fault that caused them blowing out on tarmac, I can't fit them" So they sat in my garden until I moved out earlier this year. I then hosed them down, pumped them up, and got £10 a piece for them from a "part worn" tyre supplier. :eek: :D

useless fact:

if you have an old wheel (tyre and rim) cut the tyre close to the rim (jigsaw?) turn it inside out, hey presto instant planter

TexMex said:
got £10 a piece for them from a "part worn" tyre supplier

Happy to pass dodgy tyres on to an unsuspecting driver? What if they blow out on the m-way?

Sponsored Links
Back