Space Saver Wheel Use

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Wife has a 2018 Kia Picanto and I have purchased a Space Saver Wheel.
The car has 15 inch alloy wheels. Is is acceptable to use a 14 inch space saver wheel as
a 'Get you Home ' Wheel, limiting speed to say 30 mph.

Sponsored Links
On our two current cars, the space saver diameter/circumference is drastically smaller than an 'original' wheel, and it states in the owners handbook that they have only to be fitted to the rear of the car, and stresses NEVER to the front.
My personal opinion is that if fitted to the front it would send the traction control system loopy since one wheel would turn more rotations than the other thus fooling the car into thinking it was constantly slipping.
@rsgaz's info is also correct tho - the rolling circumference of your particular wheel/tyre combo might just be the same as an 'original' wheel.

SSOOOO let me get this right. You can use this "space saver" wheel as long as you only get a puncture/rip in a rear tyre. That's nearly as bad as the idiot car manufacturers who only give you a tin of squirty stuff to get you home like Vauxhall/Opel. Squirty stuff is absolutely no good if your tyre is ripped neither is a "space saver" that you can only use on the rear.

Sponsored Links
Might be because the space saver spare won't clear the brake caliper if fitted to the front, but I'd consider that to be a bad design.

If the wheel diameters aren't identical, expect the ABS system to be most unhappy!
Can't say I've ever heard of a space saver that can't be used on the front though - totally barmy, that one :eek:
John :)

If you have a punture on the front and only a space saver spare you should remove the wheel with punctured tyre and replace it with one of the back wheels Then fit the space saver to the rear.

How one can achieve this double change with only one jack is todays puzzle....

EDIT When I bought the Megane I opted for a "real" spare wheel and not the space saver that I recall came as standard. I also recall being told something about not using a space saver on the front wheel or that if I did fit it on the front then drive slowly and carefully and replace as soon as possible.

Last edited:
How one can achieve this double change with only one jack is todays puzzle....

Jack up the back, take off the good rear tyre, put the space saver on.
Jack up the front, put the good rear tyre on the front to replace the punctured front one.

Thanks for all of your comments. I had the same thoughts with respect to not fitting the space saver wheel to the front and my thoughts were related to the differential arrangement on a front wheel drive vehicle. The diameters of the Space Saver Tyre is smaller and therefore the rolling circumference is different to the original wheels so the differential will be a problem if fitted to the drive wheels as well as ABS etc.
I have driven cares for over 50 years and never had a flat tyre until a couple of weeks ago. Tyre knackered, so the the hideous Tyre repair 'Squirty Stuff' was completely useless. Had to get the AA out to get me to a garage at 11pm. No staff to fix it had to get a hotel for the night and deal with the problem the next day. ALL of this inconvenience, time and financial implication would have been avoided if only I had a spare wheel. So my wife's car has a space saver wheel but I am still trying to source a decent priced spare for my car. How car manufacturers get away with these hideous repair kits is beyond me, It is a matter of personal safety. If you have a bad flat tyre in the middle of the country side at night, as I did, then you are very very vulnerable as is the vehicle if you leave it. Some Naughty Boys will most likely remove all of your wheels especially if they are alloys so further expense. Clearly the manufacturers do this arrangement to reduce costs and charge you for a spare wheel as an extra. This is a flawed saving because the repair kits cost are similar to a spare wheel. Another thing to note about these hideous squirty things is the once they are used the 'Squirty Stuff' goes through the inflating compressor (at least it does on a Jaguar) and when used, once the whole compressor and squirty stuff has to be replaced. The damn compressor flow volume is so low it takes about Half an hour to inflate a deflated tyre. These compressors only use is to inflate bicycle tyres.
Absolutely Stupid arrangement.

All our cars have proper sized space savers.

Any car with AWD needs to be doubly careful as it's wasy to damage the transmission with missmatched rolling circumference tyres..

......Clearly the manufacturers do this arrangement to reduce costs and charge you for a spare wheel as an extra.....

It’s also about reducing weight and therefore fuel consumptions and therefore emissions. Every little helps. Sometimes just specifying different size wheel/tyre combination on a new car can just tip into a higher road tax band.

one of my cars has a huge spare-wheel well that is big enough for some of the full-size wheels, but sadly mine are an option that is too big. So I drive around with the space-saver in the boot, but I have a spare of the big one in the garage at home.

I have a set of five different wheels for winter use, that will fit.

I am very much opposed to squirty puncture kits, that mean the tyre has to be scrapped afterwards. I now keep a small battery-operated compressor in the boot that I could use to get me home with a slow puncture.

I have another car that was delivered with a space saver, but the full-size wheel fits, so I bought a good one from a breaker and put a new tyre on it.

I wish my cars had space for a space saver, full size or not :(
Puncture in the Dordogne last year, 6 hours to get it sorted (no phone signal) and one in Newcastle at 1am......2 hours for that one!
John :)

The puncture kits with the rubber bands are much better than the can of goop and you can normally repair the tyre with a plug afterwards.

As said once you've tried the can of goop it just makes a right mess..

Only other option is to run Slime in the tyres but I wouldn't contemplate that if you have tyre pressure sensors in the wheel itself.

Sponsored Links
Back