Qashqai spare wheel ( follow on space saver post)

Sponsored Links
I was told a fluorescent bib was needed for every passenger, and also diy breathalising kits were also required?
John :)

Are you referring to France here John ? If so, you are required to have one warning vest (CE marked ) only and you are also supposed to have an alco-test HOWEVER since there is now no fine attached to not having one, nobody bothers and I have never read of a gendarme asking a driver if they have one. It is worthwhile noting that the vest and obligatory triangle are to be carried in the passenger compartment and not the boot.

The link below lists legal requirements, one of which is the prohibition of (extra ) tinting of front windows only and has got extra coverage recently with police-spokesmen saying that dark tints stop them seeing if somebody is using the phone ( the offence is actually having it in your hand ) or maybe even holding a gun. Just ask if anything is unclear.

https://www.service-public.fr/particuliers/vosdroits/F19459

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that info.....I was indeed referring to France but I'll also be in Belgium, Germany and Switzerland this year.
Potty rule about the hi - viz and triangle needing to be in the passenger compartment, when there's actually one provided in the boot :eek:

Thanks for that info.....I was indeed referring to France but I'll also be in Belgium, Germany and Switzerland this year.
Potty rule about the hi - viz and triangle needing to be in the passenger compartment, when there's actually one provided in the boot :eek:

The logic is that if you get smacked in the rear, these elements will be more easily available in the passenger compartment. Germany needs the first-aid kit as previously noted.

View attachment 139929 View attachment 139928 can someone offer me some advice please about obtaining a spare wheel for my daughters qashqai , 65 plate car .
I was concerned before reading the space saver post but now I realise the effect of not having a good proper spare is more worrying than before
It seems to me that the only safe answer is s proper spare, equal in size to the other tyres
Can anyone offer some advice ? Tia

ONLY buy a Qasqai wheel (and ideally for the same model)! There's a lot to wheels. It's not just a case of getting one the right diameter. It needs to have the right rim width and the right offset too (and of course, the right stud pattern and centre hole to locate on the hub). Smaller details include having the right cone angle for the wheel nuts (or bolts) to seat against and, of course, being suitable for the weight of the car! Strictly speaking, it would need to same moment of inertia as the other wheels because the ABS will have been mapped to expect that. It's just too easy for insurance companies to wriggle out of a big claim these days! Part of the reason cars are limited to 50 on spacesavers is as a result of some of the factors mentioned above. They need to do a "braking deviation test" when they are type approved. (unladen and fully-laden, with the spacesaver on each corner that it is approved to be used on). The car mustn't deviate from a 3m wide corridor when you stand on the brakes with the spacesaver on. In the previous thread, this might have been the reason for not being allowed to have it on (can't remember) but the front or rear. It was quite possible because the car couldn't pass its type approval test on it when fitted to the other axle.

Seriously John ? You are driving with either nothing or a can of goo ? That seems more than risky, given that you live in a relatively remote area. Is it not worthwhile strapping down a spare of some sort in the rear luggage space ?

I wouldn't normally have mentioned "strapping down " specifically, but in an accident I had a few months back, a wheel that I had in the luggage area of a hatch-back, was thrown forward and was stopped by my head-restraint. I shudder to think of the result if the shock had been more violent.

The wheel was there - and unrestrained - as I had just chucked it in to go and get a new tyre the next day and obviously felt that nothing would happen.

That's a good point. an 18" wheel-and-tyre assembly is a weighty piece of kit and will "weigh" 20-30 times what it normally weighs in a decent crash! Most modern MPVs have load lashing points in the boot area. You might be able to secure it to those but I don't know what sort of weight they're tested for.

I bet Germany etc require a proper spare wheel.

Our Mk2 Kuga has a space saver and jack, the floor pan couldn't take a full size spare so I assume all country options have space saver (or nothing!).

I've never owned a car without a space saver and never had a problem driving with one fitted.

No, Germany (the whole of the EU in fact!) works to the same rules on car design as we do. My Sharan has no spare (and nowhere to put one, as the Row 3 seats fold down into the floor in the area where a spare wheel well would have been). You can't even find a home for a spacesaver.

The logic is that if you get smacked in the rear, these elements will be more easily available in the passenger compartment. Germany needs the first-aid kit as previously noted.

The French in the link you posted says that it's so that the driver can put it on before getting out of the vehicle. I didn't know that - and I've just come back from France and Belgium! I had a vest but it was buried DEEP (along with the triangle and spare bulb kit and first aid kit!) under all the luggage for a family of 4 for a week (including 3 bikes)!

The kit is available from a Nissan dealers, I can’t quite remember how much it was for ours but it was under £150 about a year ago and included the jack etc.

Sponsored Links
Back