Dirgo Valve...

Sponsored Links
i think it is unlikely that the problem is with the dirgo vavle. but when boxing in you sould leave a reasonable space at the top . and yes they only let air into the system . NOT OUT . if this problem only started after a few days then i would look for a blockage .....you have said that this has been installed into a exstention ? where was the connection made into the existing drain with the new one ? this might be a good place to start .

The Durgo valve is NOT affecting this problem. Even if you sealed it off, the bog should still clear.

Sponsored Links
chrisR you are wrong, if you blocked the durgo the pan would NOT clear, if you were right what is the durgo for? if on a " normal" soil vent system with a vent pipe extending past the roof and the vent becomes blocked which could be 2-3 meteres above the pan it will not flush away, i have seen and repaired it many many times, the theory might seem strange but is 100% correct, without seeing this job in particular i don't know if the pan is blocked or not but all i was saying was i would check the durgo before dismantiling all the drains, hopefully we will get a post advising how the problems was solved.

The drain is blocked, possibly on the bend where the muppit smashed the old pan out, it's very easy to lift the inspection chamber lid and check without wrecking anything

Can I add my two eggs worth. :D

I thought the idea of a durgo valve was to stop smells venting out the top of an internal (whether in a loft or within a room) soil pipe, but allows air into the pipe.

The idea of the durgo is the same as putting a straw into a cup of water, putting your finger over the top of the straw, then lifting up the straw above the glass.........and no water will drop from the straw, until you take your finger off the end. :idea:

So I agree with those thinking it is the valve, if stuck closed.

Well I'm sticking up for softus, doitall and chrisr on this cos they're dead clever. :LOL:
Also why wouldn't the waste go down the soil pipe if it wasn't vented? sewers are vented all over the place, and if any vacuum tried to form behind the waste then the trap would be pulled, which is what the durgo is there to prevent.

There is one other possible explanation to the problem that know one has thought of yet, newby's and CC's take note :LOL:

Anyone remember syphonic pans :rolleyes: and that half round rubber washer, well if it ain't in the right place the pan will fill up just like a blockage.

Several questions have arisen on this topic, and some people seem to be confused about what is the answer to what. Here's a quick reference guide to what's been [sometimes implicitly] asked:

1. Does an AAV (aka Durgo valve) let 'air' out?
2. Does an AAV need to breathe?
3. Does an AAV need to have a supply of air?
4. Can a stuck AAV prevent a WC from flushing properly?
5. Can a stuck AAV completely prevent a WC from draining?
6. Could the OP's problem be caused by a blockage?
7. Could the OP's problem be caused by a stuck (closed) AAV?
8. What is the cause of the OP's problem?

And the answers are:

1. No.
2. No.
3. Yes.
4. Yes.
5. No.
6. Yes.
7. Yes.
8. We don't f***ing know, and no amount of arguing is going to find out.

Hi all, I have just logged on and seen all of your replies.. thanks for that much appreciated! I wasnt looking to start World war 3 ... I have a plumber coming over today so will hopefully put you out of your misery tomorrow.

Thanks again for all your advise!

Cheers
Neil

chrisR you are wrong, if you blocked the durgo the pan would NOT clear, if you were right what is the durgo for? if on a " normal" soil vent system with a vent pipe extending past the roof and the vent becomes blocked which could be 2-3 meteres above the pan it will not flush away, .

A Durgo is an Air Admittance Valve, NOT A VENT! It doesn't let air out.

Please tell me how the triangular seal being in place makes a difference to whether the pan empties? It's like it's held up by a spring.
Durgo1.gif

A blockage in the spotty area, however, would give exactly the problem tthe OP has.
Softus how do you make number 4? Air goes in down the pan if it wants to.
?

Full marks go to Chris R for his sketch below.. it was spot on.. it was a blockage and not a faulty Durgo Valve..

Once again thank you for all your advise it was much appreciated.

Cheers
Neil Moy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back