dirt and air in system (Meme21)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks :oops: Well at least I have a good pressure and the boiler is ok. Just need a few other problems sorting out now - couple of radiators not heating and need bigger pump. Hopefully will soon all be sorted.

Sponsored Links
Thanks :oops: Well at least I have a good pressure and the boiler is ok. Just need a few other problems sorting out now - couple of radiators not heating and need bigger pump. Hopefully will soon all be sorted.

would you please explain why you think you need a bigger pump? how many rads are you running and over how many floors?

as asked already WHERE are you a County at least would help!

would you please explain why you think you need a bigger pump? how many rads are you running and over how many floors?
as asked already WHERE are you a County at least would help!

I am running 22 radiators over two floors. Since the boiler was fitted I have two radiators in my living room, one in a bedroom and a t'd off radiator below the bedroom in a bathroom that are taking over an hour to start to heat up. Once they heat they are much cooler at the bottom. My pump also seems to have become noisy. Funnily enough it is louder in some adjoining rooms than in the airing cupboard where it is located. I also have a lot of air in the system which I can hear whooshing around my towel rails and also in the pump.

I am currently getting some estimates to get this sorted out. I have had two so far. They both suggest I need a 15/60 pump and some cleaner adding to the system which should then be flushed out after a couple of weeks. One has also said I need an automatic non return valve although the other says I don't. One also says I need some work doing on an 'H' section of pipework in my airing cupboard to stop the air being pulled into the system - although I am not sure what this means. I have also been told the system needs to be properly balanced which I think is correct.

I have one more visit for an estimate tomorrow and will then see who agrees with who and take it from there. All a bit confusing when I am told different things by different engineers.

It was all so easy when I had my old old Potterton Kingfisher. The whole system ran beautifully and I never even thought about central heating problems.

I am in East Kent.

Thats my cue to comment on your calling engineers free of charge to give youy free advice on whats required.

I wont repeat what I usually say but its guessible and searchable !

The guy who suggested pipe mods to stop air being drawn in is the one whom I think has got the right idea!

It will also be better with a 15/60 pump and proper balancing.

Tony

Sponsored Links
is this a combi or a system boiler if it is a combi have you actually checked with worcester that it is ok to put a 15/60 pump in the boiler?
the 15/50pump is probably too small but surely the installer should have known this before fitting the boiler!
are the two floors seperately piped or are they one circuit with drops to the lower floor if 2 seperate then a pump located elsewhere in the system may be an idea (done this in a large house before so that the boiler pump only had 1/2 the system to pump)
I would seriously consider a call to GSR about this install as so far you have told us about undersized gas pipework and now you have flow problems with the heating. What else is wrong?

i would offer to look in but East Kent is a bit of a trek although we do go down to Canterbury quite often (wifes family all live down there).

Thats my cue to comment on your calling engineers free of charge to give youy free advice on whats required.

I wont repeat what I usually say but its guessible and searchable !

Tony

I am quite happy to pay what is required if need be for advice. I have asked for opinions and estimates to fix the problems which is all I want. Have always been told to get several estimates for any work, and this time round I am being a little more cautious. I have not been asked for payment for the advice but would be happy to pay should that advice be correct and if someone can fix the problem. I am finding however, that engineers have different opinions and therefore am not sure what is correct. I have become a little jaundiced during my recent experiences.

I think you are right regarding the engineer who suggested the pipe modifications. He certainly seemed to know what he was talking about.

kevindgas - my daughter is down in southampton at the moment so I know just how far the journey is :)

The boiler is a conventional boiler not a combi. As far as I am aware the radiators are all on one circuit. They were all fine before the new boiler was fitted so not sure why they should not be now but hey ho. I don't think the fitter quoted for anything other than putting in a new boiler and certainly wasn't interested when I asked about the problems it had created. That is why I am seeking someone who knows what they are doing and is reliable. It is not down to who is cheapest I just want the problem solved.

kevindgas - my daughter is down in southampton at the moment so I know just how far the journey is :)

The boiler is a conventional boiler not a combi. As far as I am aware the radiators are all on one circuit. They were all fine before the new boiler was fitted so not sure why they should not be now but hey ho. I don't think the fitter quoted for anything other than putting in a new boiler and certainly wasn't interested when I asked about the problems it had created. That is why I am seeking someone who knows what they are doing and is reliable. It is not down to who is cheapest I just want the problem solved.

Unfortunately choosing the cheapest gets people like that. Professionals will sympathise with him.

We operate a No-Fix No-Fee which is what everyone should be doing.

It also means that we dont come free of charge to give "opinions and quotations".

We always charge to diagnose faults ! And before you say anything to the contrary, we always get it right.

Asking for free visits only gets the chancers! If you dont already know they eye up your area, your house and your car to judge just how much to charge.

In contrast I quote over the phone and does not take into account, sex, gender, race, colour, religion, persuasion, house, car or any other variables other than the heating system!

The only small variable is that I may take them out to dinner if they are female, have no apelike husband around and can wear a sari.

Tony

I just wish someone would give me a quote over the phone. All I have done is phone some engineers, tell them the problem and they then say they will come over and have a look and give me an estimate. Surely it is up to them to suggest a call out fee if they have one not for me to offer to pay? I haven't 'asked' for any free visits and how do I find out who are chancers and who are not?
:confused:

We operate a No-Fix No-Fee which is what everyone should be doing.

It also means that we dont come free of charge to give "opinions and quotations".

We always charge to diagnose faults !

Lines 1 and 3 don't tally!

With all due respect, how can you have nofixnofee if you charge to diagnose faults?

eg, condemning a boiler is a no fix situation!

The charge is to DIAGNOSE the fault!

We always expect to do that.

To fix may incur additional costs. In some cases that may not be cost effective or even possible if some parts may not be available as in the Ideal Response HEs.

We dont charge if we cannot DIAGNOSE the faults. ( never happened yet though ).

Nor would we charge any additional amount to FIX the fault if that did not effect a cure.

This is not within the remit of the original posting topic!

Tony

OK - just had RGI no 3 out (and before anyone says anything I offered to pay him for coming out - especially as he cleaned my Magnaclean - he accepted but didn't charge very much)

Anyway, advice would be useful as to which option to go for

RGI No 1 says, automatic non return valve needed, new 15/60 pump, H pipe work, and put some cleaner in the system later in the year. (no quote received as yet)

RGI No 2 says, new 15/60 pump, two TVRs and cleaner in the system.£410 plus VAT

RGI No 3 says, automatic non return valve needed, new 15/60 pump (might help or might not) a couple of new TVRs and a power flush - He opened my Magnaclean and was amazed at the amount of dirt it had collected - said it was what he would expect after 18 months not one month, it was absolutely caked. He said the powerflush would take the best part of a whole day as I have 22 radiators. He thinks the system hadn't been flushed properly before the boiler was fitted. Had verbal quote of £500'ish. (And yes I offered to pay him for coming out although he was very surprised at this)

RGI No 3 also suggested that the low vibrating hum I am getting through the house could be the fan in the new boiler :eek:

Any suggestions gratefully received, within reason of course :LOL:

Does the new boiler installation instructions insist on, or recommend cleaning the system before fitting, and did the installer present this as an option when installing the new boiler? As a consumer, you are not expected to have the knowledge of what is required to replace a boiler, so to some degree the installer of only a new boiler has some responsibility for the whole sytem, unless they explicitly advise what should be done and you opt to go against that advice.

The installer quoted to supply and fit 40cdi boiler, fit new flue, do pipework, fit wireless thermostat, flush radiators (but this wasn't a powerflush) and fit a Magnaclean. Really don't want to go back to fitter and would rather get someone else in.

Meme21, why not contact Gas Safe and ask an inspector to come and see you.

From what you have written, it seems very likely you have been shortchanged. At page 5 of this discussion, it has become a slagging match by some instead of helping you resolve the problem.

Sad fact is that one can accept bad workmanship by the nonregistered, but to be ripped off (is what my perception is of this scenario) by a so called registered installer is by no means an easy pill to swallow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back