Dirt Cheap Bathroom Makover: Need ideas

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The bathroom is in bad need of an update so I'm looking for a bit of advice.

We've decided to tile the wet areas and plaster the rest. The basin and toilet will still need replacing, my question is what would be the best/cheapest way to go about this.

Don't need anything fancy just a clean neutral look, ideally without too much pipe work on display.

I threw a pic of the soil pipe as it sticks out quite far into the room approx 300mm

(Middle pipe in the trio of pipes between the toilet and basin is gas, booked a gas safe engineer to remove it)

yjGyZhC.jpg

d89hVsX.jpg

Sponsored Links
What you propose is well doable for a DIY'er - take it slow, & with advice from on here, and you should have no problems.

1. measure the footprint of the room.
2. select the fixtures for installation.
3. note where their centres will come.
4. the WC position might need a little thought - check out the soil pipe inside the room & outside.
5. where's the soil stack?
6. Think about electrics - shower, lighting & extractor?

7. After removing all fixtures & pipework(?) lift the ply underlayment and the vinyl tiles will come with it.
8. remove all wall coverings.
9. Make good any damaged plaster. Unless you intend to hack off to brickwork?
10. Check the condition of the ceiling & the door/lock.

11. the T&G boards are with you - lift a couple & you can snake plastic pipe under the floor
12. do as much painting (esp the ceiling) as possible before any fixing.
13. 12mm ply and sheet vinyl are cheap.

14. all the gas safe has to do is cut & cap the pipe at the tee branch - dont leave a live gas dead leg anywhere.

Wickes bog in a box and have it exiting straight into the soil pipe/facing the bath. Have a look on eBay for a vanitory unit for the basin. ;)

Sponsored Links
Portland "toilet to go" ie. in a box - just a name used by my daughter in law who works there.- You'll need a new seat of better quality for it . Can't be beaten on price and performance

You'll have to pad out the back of the cistern quite a bit if you fit a close couple.

A false wall could hide the soil-pipe and at the same time pad out the back of the cistern.

Great detailed post Vinn that's what I was hoping to hear.

I have a couple of questions

What you propose is well doable for a DIY'er - take it slow, & with advice from on here, and you should have no problems.

4. the WC position might need a little thought - check out the soil pipe inside the room & outside.
5. where's the soil stack?
This window is just outside of the pic, but its on the right hand side of the toilet.
wUPQuzv.jpg

9. Make good any damaged plaster. Unless you intend to hack off to brickwork?

Will patching plaster do?

Thanks for the extra pic and info.

Yes, in the original pic I could see the window board above the cistern & wondered about the stack's position.
Presumably, the wastes are discharging into a hopper?

If you use, say a ped basin or a wall hung basin, you could turn the WC to back into the shortened soil pipe, & no boxing etc would be needed.
Measure from floor to window board but there might be just enough room. If not, there are plenty of low close coupled WC's around.

Patching plaster is fine for patching but you intend to paint, & for paint you need a smooth finish. Often the non wet walls are skimmed. But your raw walls would have to be cleaned off and sanded back almost to plaster.

Off page but FWIW: Is your exterior rendered and painted?
The Pvc frame seems to be proud of the render - is that the case?

One persons cheap is another persons expensive? how cheap ? God knows how many times customers has said that :whistle::cautious:

One persons cheap is another persons expensive? how cheap ? God knows how many times customers has said that :whistle::cautious:

I'd be over the moon at £800, satisfied at £1200, and loose sleep over £1500:eek:

I love the feng shui of your existing bathroom, I think you should leave it as it is. Perfect!

Nozzle

I like the idea of the having the WC the other way. It will create a bit more space in the bathroom too.
Measure from floor to window board but there might be just enoug room. If not, there are plenty of low close coupled WC's around.

Floor to windowsill is 800mm

Patching plaster is fine for patching but you intend to paint, & for paint you need a smooth finish.
I had in mind to call a plasterer I know, it won't be mates rates but he is very reasonable. I was thinking of using patching plaster to even up some walls around the bath area that aren't quit good enough to tile as is.

Off page but FWIW: Is your exterior rendered and painted?
The Pvc frame seems to be proud of the render - is that the case?
Not rendered. It is a PRC home that might account for the rendered look

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back