disastrous bathroom project by recommended fitter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure where to start but I'll give it a go. This person did my parents kitchen so I was happy when he could do the work for me. It started 4 weeks ago and is still ongoing. I've had the bath removed and opted for a walking wet room slightly governed by his decision as he thought it'd look different.. So its a complete bathroom makeover. At first he was enthusiastic but a back problem came along 2 days wasted. I must admit I didn't have all he to get on so 4 days were wasted again. Along with dental problems 4 days further lost. I confronted him about the time wasted in due respect if I had everything I still think i'd be where I am today. His reply was in hadn't all the stuff and he hadn't done nothing wrong. Anyway the work has resumed but at a very slow pace and shody. My main concern is the application of the tiles. I noticed he wasn't applying the adhesive directly to the wall but in blobs on the tiles. The tiles are not even either with edges not aligned even though I've pointed it out several times. My next concern was the tiling the adhesive is applied fully on the wall that the shower is on but doesn't need it as much on the opposite dry wall as the wall won't be affected and is not going to get wet. Well I have checked out his work and the side where the wall will get wet is not good. I tested by tapping and I could hear the hollow where the adhesive isn't applied yet he said they have been done. i'm really stressed, and like a fool I have given him the money before he's finished. If has numerous things to do but is not back research until Tuesday his decision. The tiles are also uneven in lots of areas and I'm not happy. I've mentioned this but if say you won't notice it when the grout is applied. I just don't believe him. I'm a fool for paying attention I had an argument which has let an atmosphere, in just want the work done properly and I have a child we are in need of my bathroom. If decided he wasn't coming over Saturday and Monday so another 2 days cos he's is waiting for the radiator If I can post some pics gallery took her will. Please can someone help and tell me he's a cowboy said he's been qualified since he was a young man :(

Sponsored Links
OK I am not a tiler but I have heard it on forums before that tiling on dabs is acceptable where you have large tiles and uneven walls, so that might be ok. My worry would be however that if this is a walk-in shower and particularly if it is upstairs the floor needs tanking, if he is a bit dodgy you could be heading for a lot of trouble.
Photos will be a big help in particular of the floor construction, so the real experts can give you guidance.
Unfortunately it often happens that a guy does one job well like a kitchen install but then takes on work he is really not good at, a relative of mine had a wall built the chap did a great job so they got him to build their extension, everything apart from the brickwork was a disaster!

I should edit that to some extent. You only really need full tanking if it is a wet room or the shower base is going to be a tiled one, if it is a one piece shower base you simply need extreme care taken to install and seal the tray, once it leaks chances are you will never get it sealed without removing and reinstalling.

Sponsored Links
Sam Gangee, apologies regarding the construction of my sentences I have just reread, i was very tired when writing ans was sent via my mobile but I think the gist of my concern was understood.
Anyway an update. I confronted the builder this morning and told him the work was not fit for purpose and that he could rectify the tiling by reapplying a new lot (new tiles purchased) or give me back my money. So this evening I got £450 pounds back, i would have preferred all the monies back and keys. I now have to find another builder who isn't going to charge me lots again.
Should I make enquiries to Trading Standards regarding his work or not now that he's gone ?

you've accepted the £450 as a settlement so leave it at that and dont pay up front next time.

you've accepted the £450 as a settlement so leave it at that and dont pay up front next time.

Yes, you're probably best off walking away. Reduces stress.

Do you know anyone who has had tiling and bathroom work done, who could recommend somebody? It's always useful if you can see someone's work beforehand.

cheers
Richard

Yes chalk it up to experience, unless he owes you thousands move on and make a fresh start. So much trouble and aggro for a few hundred if you pursue and chances are even if you get a judgment all assets will be in wife's name of similar and you will end up with nothing. that's exactly what happened with my relative all through the courts and as he had no "assets" they got nothing back.

Should I make enquiries to Trading Standards regarding his work or not now that he's gone ?

You could mention him to them and they might make a note, but it is probably a waste of time. I had far worse problems than you from someone on the Trading Standards Buy With Confidence Scheme. Utter cowboys. They spent six months smooth talking TS to reduce the compensation. They are still on the BWC scheme. TS are underfunded, and too nice.

if it is a one piece shower base you simply need extreme care taken to install and seal the tray,
And have a floor that has no movement in it when people walk in and out of the shower tray. The smallest movement will strain and eventually break the sealing.

once it leaks chances are you will never get it sealed without removing and reinstalling.
and you won't realise it is leaking until the under side is wet enough to mark the ceiling below by which time the floor under the tray may be very damp and possibly damaged and needing replacement.

There are trays where the side of the tray extends up behind the bottom row of tiles. These are less prone to leaks but still not 100%

If you do go for a wet room make sure you get someone who knows what they are doing. I have been fitting bathrooms for many years but would not attempt a wet room - pain in the a**e to fit and designed to leak at some point - particularly upstairs.

I had a similar problem.

Family friend, a good painter, said he could tile as well, so I asked him to do the bathroom tiling.

Well the first row of tiles looked like a row of crooked teeth. When questioned, he said, " oh they will look all-right when the grout is in".

Well, frankly I am not into bodging it, or paying for something to be bodged, so I sent him on his way and we lost a family friend.

I did the tiles myself, using a long straight edge to set each tile square, level, and flat with all the others. It took me ages because I am not an expert, but they came out beautifully.

Trouble is, too many so-called professionals are not interested in actually doing a good job. They just want to do the bare minimum as quick as possible to get the money out of you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back