Discharge Floodlights to outside of large farm building

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Guys,
I would like to install 6x Floodlights to the outside of a farm building.
2x of the lights will be 400w Metal Halide to light up the fields near by.
The other 4x lights will be 500w Halogen lights to light the entrances to the building.

Most of the instructions for the lights state 5A fused max.

4x 500W... 2000/230 = 8.7A
2x 400W... 800/230 = 3.5A (Believe I need to x 1.8 for the startup current?)

That is a total of 12.2A which would be too much for a 6A MCB.

What would be the way of of keeping the 5A fuse for each light as stated by companies, but allowing all the lights to go on one circuit?

Just to add, the wiring will 2.5mm HITUF cable as its a outside cable, double sheathed, and also as it a long cable run (90ft).

Thanks in advance for you help.

Sponsored Links
you could mount six 5 amp fused connection units internally by each point and flex out to each fitting

Sponsored Links
You can get FCUs with an IP rating suitable for use outdoors.

Thanks for the replies....

Ricicle.. The cable will be surface mounted on the metal framework and wooden roof purlin supports.

Only using the e 500w lights in entrances as very cheap to buy, and wouldn't be on long each evening, so wouldn't cost too much to run either.

Just wondering is there any advantage using discharge lights throughout besides the running cost saving?

The farm is mainly a horse stables now, and the building in question is being turned into a storage industrial unit.

As the building isn't watertight think the IP rated FCU's woukd be the way forward. Found some made by LAP on screwfix for under £7 each. Switched as well, so hopefully will do the job.

Be aware over 150W planning permission is required. This could be granted for a farm but at 400W discharge it is possible some one could complain so really need to consider if it's worth exceeding the 150W limit.

Thanks for letting me know that, had no idea.

There has been one 400W discharge light for over 3 years now, and no complaints so fingers crossed I wouldn't get any with a second.

Is it lights over a certain output which need planning permission? Only say that because a 70w discharge would be under the 150W you stated, but still giving around the same output of a 400W halogen which would be over.

Thanks in advance.

Only using the e 500w lights in entrances as very cheap to buy, and wouldn't be on long each evening, so wouldn't cost too much to run either.
4 of those if used for only 1 hour a day is still £100+ per year in electricity.
There is also the issue of replacing the lamps every few months.

Unless you absolutely need them to work instantly when switched on, get the 70W metal halides instead.

When you put it like that, I guess the extra instal cost wouldn't be that great compared with the running costs over a few years.

Been tempted to get some of them LED floodlights that are starting to appear more common now, but don't think they would be bright enough for the job needed.

It was in one of the Parts of building regulations and I don't read the regulation but the official layman guides and they say 150W not so many Lumière output so I use a 70W metal halide lamp.

I am sure LABC do not send out people to police if some one fits a lamp over 150W or changes there heating from oil to wood which normally would mean it would be below permitted efficiency.

Some one needs to complain. If it shines into some ones window or with wood burner next doors kid suffers from the smoke so they complain to local authority then they may in turn complain to you. Think it unlikely even if they did it would be anything more than take it down.

Clearly permission can be granted or foot ball grounds would have a problem. Unlikely it would be granted for a domestic but for a farm likely you could get permission. When installed before the regulations came in likely you would be exempt but a 70W metal halide is so good can't see the point in taking a chance.

Where I worked he was told to remove one of a pair of 300W discharge lamps on the concrete silos as it was a distraction to drivers but allowed to keep the other one. Clearly in his case some one complained.

When you put it like that, I guess the extra instal cost wouldn't be that great compared with the running costs over a few years.

Been tempted to get some of them LED floodlights that are starting to appear more common now, but don't think they would be bright enough for the job needed.

A 50W LED flood with it's superior colour rendering will be perceivably as bright as a 500W halogen flood. Coupled with the energy saved and the lack of maintenance required, I can't understand why anyone would install halogen these days.

Think it's just the price that's putting me off at the moment. £100 a light is over my budget at the moment. They do seem to be the lights of the future, when the technology gets even better

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back