Outside Lighting Feed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am wanting to put a couple of LED Floodlights along the front of my house and a couple more in a barn that is next to the gable end of my house (3 meters away) , the only feed I have outside is a small floodlight on the gable end , (next to the barn) this is run off the house lower light circuit .
It would be most probably be ok ( I think ) if it was only going to supply 4x 30W LED Floodlights , but someone could change that to a higher wattage later ! .

The problem I have is that the CU is in the middle of the house , so very difficult to take another feed from it .
So what I was thinking was taking a feed from the lower ring main ( a lower floor socket next to the gable end , and somehow fitting it into a 5A fused spur , using 1.5mm2 cable , then take my feed from that to the 2 light circuits outside ! .

Spike44

Sponsored Links
somehow fitting it into a 5A fused spur

Also use a double pole switch so that the outside lights can be fully isolated ( Live and Neutral both disconnected ). This will prevent damaged and/or water logged outside lights from tripping MCB or RCD protecting the lower ring main.

I am wanting to put a couple of LED Floodlights along the front of my house and a couple more in a barn that is next to the gable end of my house (3 meters away) , the only feed I have outside is a small floodlight on the gable end , (next to the barn) this is run off the house lower light circuit .
It would be most probably be ok ( I think ) if it was only going to supply 4x 30W LED Floodlights ,
Yes, of course it will be ok. 6A @ 240V = 1,440W

but someone could change that to a higher wattage later ! .
So what?
Someone could do anything.

The problem I have is that the CU is in the middle of the house , so very difficult to take another feed from it .
So what I was thinking was taking a feed from the lower ring main ( a lower floor socket next to the gable end , and somehow fitting it into a 5A fused spur , using 1.5mm2 cable , then take my feed from that to the 2 light circuits outside ! .
No need but you can if you want.

Anyway, how will that be different? It's still 5A.

You should be fine to come off the existing supply. Your proposed load is about the same as a single old fashioned light bulb.

If we worried about someone modifying a circuit incorrectly in the future then we’d have to wire everything up in 120mm² cable just in case someone buys an X-ray machine and tries to connect it to an existing circuit.

Sponsored Links
Aargh. I was about to make a disparaging comment about one of the ‘regular’ contributors about this issue. But the nice TTC held me back…

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back