disconected gas cooker

D

dibby90

hi today I have disconnected a beko gas oven/hob and put a warning notice on it, my reasons;

not wired it so no ignition and being lit with a match

no safety chain
fsd's not working

my problem is the customer,letting agent and my boss are all having a go saying I've cut it off for no good reason and should of left it on until a electrician wired it up as its was fine on the check last year

just wondering if people agree with me as I'm second guessing my self now thanks

Sponsored Links
Why did you think a lack of Ignitor has anything to do with safety?

Why were the fsd's not working? Or were they even present?

Is a lack of stability chain an ID situation?

Prepare for some unpaid overtime.

well she's climbing into the oven to light it with a lighter, oven fsd was working but the hob wasn't but it had them
just listed faults stability chain was one I found,

don't mind holding my hands up if I'm wrong and been to cautious, just off to see my boss now (n)

Sponsored Links
Yeh undid the bayonet and did a tightness test

Yeh I was caught in two minds just thought if I leave it on and she blows her Sen across the kitchen :confused: ill just put this one down to experience (y)

You could have AR'd without disconnecting.
No ignition - no problem
without checking, I thought no chain is NTCS

Are you saying the hob FSD failed to ON? Did you have to activate FSD (ie hold the knobs in) to get the hob to work?

There have been discussions in the CC about RGIs being threatened with legal action for turning off appliances unnecessarily.

Nothing you have said makes me think I would have classified anything as AR.

I would be very surprised if all four FFDs are all failed on. Are you sure you are testing them properly?

And is it a property where FFDs are required anyway?

Non FFD hobs are only NCS when they have been installed before the requirement date. I am not at all sure they would be AR even if fitted last week. Interesting question for GS. Might get four different answers on four calls!

Tony

I keep myself on the right side with the key line out of TB001 :- with the gas user's/responsible persons approval.

Scream and shout the dangers etc to the owner/landlord/boss and you still AR/ID it where applicable and mark it on your notice/label and then get them to sign off that they didn't allow it to be disconnected. It may not be the safest in some circumstances but keeping yourself in the right 1st and foremost is the best policy these days it seems.

I totally agree.

But those who refuse to let you turn off the gas are also the same ones who will refuse to sign anything!

But I am not yet convinced that there is anything even AR about the situation.

I wonder what the boss said!

To be fair I didn't like the look of the whole install and I wasn't sure, just went back and reconnected it after abit of advice from the boss, in the end I was only looking of for the safety of the tenants

but Yeh I test them properly the cooker looked like it had fallen of the back of a scrap van :LOL:

Did the location require a FFD on the hob?

Were all burners really failed to on ? That would be very surprising to me.

I have to say I really do test every burner FSD but as I never seem to find any failed on ones it makes me wonder how many others bother to try them all even though it is only a minute or so.

Even so I am not convinced that a failed on FSD would be AR.

It would only be the same as having no FSD where it is now required and I expect there is a good argument for it to just be NCS.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back